Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw two guys catfishing ticketed 130 dollars a piece last night for fishing on the docks. yes it is posted but there was litteraly 0 boat traffic during the 2 hours(after dark) i was there and only one trailer in the parking lot. I think a warning would have been sufficient. That being said I've been on both sides of it.. I've stood on the docks and fished at times and i've also not been able to dock my boat when they're invaded by 40 people that cant speak english. Apparently theres a new ranger out there with a chip on his shoulder and people that have been doing things for years are now getting told they'll get a ticket.

·
Banned
1,088 Posts
Which ramp was it? I launched out of Cheshire about 10:30pm and there were two guys fishing at the ramp, one on the end of the dock (fishing the south lane) and one on the south edge. Winds were out of the n/w so I wanted the north lanes anyway, so they didn't impede my launch.
Seems about right though. They are afraid to enforce all rules during daylight hours but raise a stink over nonsense in the middle of the night. Are they ever going to ticket people parking non-trailer towing vehicles in the "trailer parking only" spaces? If I were these guys I'd watch and see. If they are not then they have been discriminated against. This reminds me of the wildlife officer who doesn't check anybody all open water season then sits in New Galena lot with a spotting scope looking for an over bag during our two week ice season.

Also, maybe they could teach people with trailers the correct way to park in a 45 degree angled lot. You pull in and back out. You don't pull all the way through. That's why people get their trailers clipped. Idiots trying to make a 315 degree turn with little space to avoid hitting parked cars on the other side of the drive. Nice to see they added parking stops to the new and improved New Galena Lot.

Also, Also, Bass and crappie were loving the almost full moon last night. No ski's, small eye's.

·
Registered
48 Posts
At Rush Creek I basically have to be rude in order to launch. Last week they were swimming on the ramp. I do think a warning would be sufficient to solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
At new galena..and I mean i was there fishing as well as a group of 6or8 people on the other side.. all withina easy walk of the ranger he doesnt come and check anyones licenses... I fish a ton 2days a week.for as many hrs a day I can and over the last 3ish years ive had my license checked once at buckeye

·
Registered
417 Posts
Rangers aren't supposed to check license or enforce wildlife rules. They enforce park rules. Last time I talked with a Ranger he said he covers Alum, Delaware and Mt Gilead Parks. The Wildlife officer (game warden) probably covers all of Delaware county.

I do wish they would consider us boaters who fish into November by leaving at least one dock in until then. It is very hard for a senior like me to launch a boat without the dock to tie off to.

·
Banned
1,088 Posts
I do wish they would consider us boaters who fish into November by leaving at least one dock in until then. It is very hard for a senior like me to launch a boat without the dock to tie off to.
Amen, Just because they have a problem with unorthodox sexual behavior they have closed some picnic areas and pretty much shut the lake down after Sept. 30. If they would leave areas accessible, we (sportsman) may be able to aid in running this behavior off. I do wonder if they think they are helping waterfowlers by making it hard for other boaters to access.
It's surely not to protect the docks from ice as most are in worse condition than the marina docks which stay in the entire season.
Either way I feel for you as it may not be as easy to climb on to the front of my boat to launch as I age.
Also, man you got me on a my soap box now!
Does anybody even work there? The navigational bouys (i.e. Danger shallow, No swimming, No wake, Red right return ) have not been re-positioned all season. Is it it really that hard to get off your arse and put them where they belong?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i was fishing cheshire dock last night but i have noticed galena has a billion no fishing on docks signs while i did not find any at cheshire which seems a bit odd. I did see the park ranger last night he just looked around and drove on by of course i was on the cement steps which i don't believe is illegal anyway.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I hope they ticket every single person that fishes from the boat launch docks !!! I've had so many problems over the years & have seen absolutely nothing done. It's clearly posted & there's plenty of other places without interfering with boaters.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Fishin fantic..... Any ODNR officer can check fishing or hunting licenses as well as enforce ALL laws on ANY ODNR owned property including state parks and wildlife areas.

Muskarp...... If the summer months traffic isn't enough to deter the illegal sexual activity at the parks the fall certainly isn't going to do it. The only way to deter it is to close the gates and force them to take the activity elsewhere. Also in some areas, closing the gates makes it easier for the bow hunters to be able to hunt.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had my license checked Saturday night my a ranger as well. Wondering if he was the same ranger. He asked me about another car parked in the parking lot, and if I knew where that person might be fishing from. Looks like he was on a spree. Was the ranger a little stocky dude, with mustache that gave them the ticket? Wondering if he was the same one.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I hope they ticket every single person that fishes from the boat launch docks !!! I've had so many problems over the years & have seen absolutely nothing done. It's clearly posted & there's plenty of other places without interfering with boaters.
it is ridiculous that they stay in the way when people are launching but yesterday for instance there was one trailer in the parking lot while i was there. If i would have wanted to fish the floating dock it would have caused no one a problem for me to do so. Its just another instance where a few idiots bring about laws that take the place of discernment. And sure there are other places to fish but few have lighting, easy access, and structure that holds fish. If they get in your way just push em in :D

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Seems a little harsh to me especially if there was no boat traffic. A warning would have probably been issued instead.

·
Warreye Hunter
269 Posts
I guess The question I have to ask is maybe they had already been warned that day or maybe they had been warned another day some people just don't listen, I have almost had to push people out of the way to get my boat in at times they wont even pull there fishing rods in when you try to dock once I got there line tangled in my prop what a mess I had to pull the prop off to get all the line out then the guys starts yelling at me like I did something wrong!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I guess The question I have to ask is maybe they had already been warned that day or maybe they had been warned another day some people just don't listen
That's what I was thinking or perhaps they had a poor attitude about being asked to move...
Theres plenty of productive spots within feet of the actual docks I use them frequently. I also launch my boat several times a week so I don't particularly like waiting for lines to be pulled in or playing bobber slalom to dock my boat. I also don't like leaving my boat even for 3 mins to get my trailer while people I don't know have a view of my tackle buffet on my boat

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
66 Posts
Its a boat loading and unloading area. Not a fishing pier. Why don't they build one of those with the ticket money ?

·
Registered
946 Posts
had a problem with a couple guys last night at cheshire. i was getting off the water just before dark. a boat was trailoring on the left side and two guys bobber fishing and jigging on right side. i pointed that i needed to tie up there and they pointed to the other side where the other boat was. i stared him down while the other guy got on his trailor and then tied on behind him. didnt want to get into it with the guys fishing cause i was solo and didnt want to come back to get my boat with my gear in the water. the one guy started complaining that he has lived in the area forever and everybody comes to his spot now.

·
Double lunger
1,560 Posts
Write the tickets. The same guys disrespecting the dock laws are more than likely disrespecting the bag limit laws and size regs.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I have fished that area on foot many times in past years (mainly cold season) & never found a need to go out on the docks. That area can be fished from the rocks just as easily & still stay out of the way. It is after all a boat launch / load area. How do the bank fishermen like it when a boat gets too close to "their" spot ?? Hey, the state needs the money anyway and, while they're at it, write some tickets for all the under sized crappie & eyes that are put in coolers & buckets by many of the same people .............. Tickets for everyone : ) !!
Whatever happened to common courtesy ??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts