Ohio Game Fishing banner

Alum eyes

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  sowbelly101 
#1 ·
I'm heading down to Alum this comming Thur. Whats the best way to go after the saugeye? Trolling or drifting weight foward spinners and crawlers? Or crankbaits?
Thanks for any info.

#7 ·
Remeber your drift sock ... or maybe a 5 gallon bucket with a hole. It seems like youre either drifting too fast or you need to pull them behind the boat to get the speed right. Might I also suggest floating jig heads/minnows a few feet behind Linde sinkers? Like Net said, keep it close to the bottom. You'd be surprised at what you can catch with that rig. It's become 1 of my favorite set ups on Alum. -Dave

#9 ·
Last weekend it was all 12-13 feet. Today, it was whatever depth I was not at :(

Only boated 1 eye, came from 16 feet. Took some smallies/largemouths/crappies/perch in the process, and had a complete buzz kill when I hooked into what I thought was the next state record. Fought for 10 mins, screeming drag, finally get it in and it was a HUGE turtle. The fight rocked, but man what a let down.

Props to RangerJ for not losing a finger trying to salvage my worm harness :)

We used bouncers/floating jigs, bouncers/worm harnesses/cranks. We fished points, humps, weeds, you name it. Just couldn't get the job done today. Oh well, just makes the next one that much sweeter I guess ;)

#10 ·
Shake I must have missed you as I was out yesterday from 2-8pm. I think you got a new boat so I'm not sure how to look out for ya now. Anyways I had pretty much the same experience as you with the eyes. I caught one keeper on a jig/minnow and the bouncers didn't produce. Caught two cigars trolling. Got tired of dragging bouncers so decided to throw the top water for a little in between action and caught two ugly azz carp one about 15 and the other about 8. Good to see that it wasn't only me the saugeye didn't like.

#11 ·
I hit ALum Saturday night, fished from 7 to 1 am. Same results, 1 eye. Did hook into a musky near the dam. He came out of the water, we guessed it went about 15-20 lbs. Lost him when he threw the hook. Tried trolling the points and the rocks along the dam. Did catch 4 smallies along the rocks.

#14 ·
same here...cheshire and dam. However we had a bunch of bass minnows left over, and crappie fished them north of 36/37 for the last hour. Did pretty well numbers wise, no huge ones though. Had another huge strike, (using my beloved 11foot crappie rod) and boated a nice fat channel cat. I'm not a cat guy at all, but it was a riot on that 11foot rod.

Took us about an hour to get the boat out of the water at Cheshire. Between cabin cruisers using the floating ramps as dockage, and some dude fishing for his car keys with a magnet, it was typical Alum weekend chaos.

Sorry I missed you Pat! I was actually keeping an eye out for you too.

#19 ·
:D

gordo,

thanks again for dumping all my jigs and plastics all over the floor of the boat, when i got home i still reminded me of you and the color spectrum. still was a good time and thanks for showin me how to loose brand new cranks on the first cast..

Im comin out of the booth
sowbelly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.