close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum eyes

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by CHOPIQ, May 17, 2004.

1. Started fishing for crappies in the bays yesterday at Alum and it was slow. Would pick up a couple every now and then, decided to try trolling the humps, ended up with 16 eyes. Biggest was only about 2.5 lb. Also picked up alot of crappies 12" and bigger on a fire tiger crankbait. Eyes were in the 12'-18' depth. A bonus fish was an 18" muskie.

2. Nice catch Chopiq! I started yesterday about 6:30, did not try trolling, sounds like I should have! I threw a gold weapon and had several short strikes. Tried a stinger hook but would not get bit. Fished briefly above 36/37, caught a couple of small crappie and a 9" gill.

Headed back down south of cheshire, hit 3 coves and caught 30 crappie of which I kept 18. Most were in the 10-12" range with a couple above 14". Also caught 3 largemouth bass 12-15" and a bonus muskie 18". I caught most of the crappie in about 2 1/2 hours.

All in all a good day on the water, even with the bass tourney, traffic was not to bad.

To those of you going after bass and whitebass, I saw a few smallmouth and whites chasing shad/shiners in 15-25 feet of water. Several times they came up within 10 yards of the boat and I got glimpses of both the chaser and chasee. The bait they were chasing was very small. I did not try to catch any but would think that a small topwater or small crank bait would have been effective. Most of the tourney anglers were in much closer to shore, don't know if they did not see the comotion on the surface or just assumed they were carp jumping as there was plenty of that as well.

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Nice work man!

We took 2 musky on Saturday up at WB crappie fishing. Takes you by surprise on 6lb test and a 1/16th oz crappie jig.

4. Sure does! I caught the muskie out of the same downed tree that I had just plucked a couple of crappies. Thought I had the new world record crappie on for a second!