close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum Event

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by flathunter, Sep 30, 2004.

1. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Well it's appx two weeks from the Alum Event, who all is going to show?..I will be there sat around noon....I hope to see lots of fish caught, and maybe catch one or two myself..There will be people there saturday, right? :D

2. steelhead1

steelhead1 Pikie Bay

I hope to make it. I have only made one CAG event this year:(

All depends on work.

3. Plans right now are to get there midday friday and fish until at least saturday evening, maybe even into sunday morning. Never can tell, though, but i'd like to get as much fishing in as i can.

4. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

I should be arriving Friday evening and fishing through. In honer of Halloween I will be bringing "Hellish Pickeld Eggs" and "Ghastly Grilled Stuffed Meatloaf" for the little shin ding on Saturday.

I am hearing rumurs about carpers from all over coming down to try and take our Ohio Carp King plaque from our state, we must Repel them, not on our turf. Also we need to just flat out show them a good time.

Scott take those words back, no need to shun us all. I for one look foward to fishing with you again and many more times in the future. By the way big kudos on those nice Sciota carp you got this year, gotta love the river just wished I could of gotten out more to fish it this year :( Did you get a chance to do much Flattie angling this year or did the weather mess it all up like it did last year.

5. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

you know i'm coming..got several phonecalls from out of state people wondering about this outing..it should be a great time..
    i'm thinking about whipping something up bankside on friday night..should be good enough to keep the cold away.. :)

6. crappielooker

i dunno..i'm hooked on my babies from the lake....you know how MY babies fight..;)

7. Miso_Ohio

Good to hear Scott, and look foward to seeing you the weekend of Alum. Also keep in mind that the Ohio Carp-Ins are open to everybody, not just CAG or OGF members. There may be weekends where the river is a wash that you guys may want to join up with us. Plus why would you want to miss East Harbor or Alum. I am sure we will all talk the weekend of Alum, maybe we can all work something out, look foward to meeting your new converts.

8. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Scott,

Your as welcome to these events as anyone else is. You DO NOT need to be a member of CAG to attend our events, eat at our cookouts, learn the ways of carp fishing, and enjoy the socializing on the bank. Our events are for socializing, friendship, and doing what we all enjoy doing......fishing. If you choose to not attend, that is your decision.....not the rest of us as you make it sound. I will clearly state again....you are welcome at our events.....CAG member or not.

Miso.....right now we have people from IL, IN, PA, and OH coming. I heard rumor that possible a DC group might be coming? Not sure.....just rumor. Should be a good time regardless. Not to mention some freebie items to give away. I have 2 boxes of stuff that everyone is welcome to. Actually 4 come to think of it. Still waiting on one box to arrive. What are they? You have to show up to see ;)

Cookout topics............we will be having a cookout on Saturday gang. Feel free to bring items to add to the cookout. For those who have not attended an event before, this is something not to be missed. If you care to add to the cookout, feel free to post here. Count me in for Wings from Quaker Steak (Give suggestions on sauces), and Veggies/Dip. Possibly come cookies if I can get the chick to bake some :D

We are in contention for the Ohio Carp King Plaque as well gang. Top weight of carp for the events for the season will be given to the winner at 9:00AM on the Sunday of the Alum Event. Right now it is held with 20lbs. I will be shocked if 20 isn't broken at Alum. Alum produces awesome fish......and people always fish this event harder than any other one.

I will have all of the information posted for the fish-in this weekend. Just returned home from Wisconsin after spending a few days there then 5 days in Chicago. Still catching up. Anyone....feel free to join us and fish for these hard fighting fish. The OCK Plaque is open to ANYONE who fishes our events. Great title to hold if you ask me ;)

9. catking

catking Banned

Unwanted by some, and would rather fish fast waters, probably be my last CAG fish in........... What a nice post you submitted there Scott.......I edited the rest of what I posted. The point is, it sounds as if somebody is putting a gun to your head as to make you join in on the final CAG event of the year. This is not the case.I fish CAG events for the friendships I've made in the past few years.Nothing more.Unwanted by some? I've also fished CAG events the past few years and yet to see this out of anybody. Maybe it is something self- inflicted that I do not know about? Spilling over in your state, going to get sour? Maybe you can enlighten me when I see you at Alum..........CATKING.

10. crappielooker

all BS aside..we all know dang well that once we are there, and the fish are ON..we won't be thinking and talking about this crap.. so lets just think about the event and the good things it is...
    all i want is to get to see some of my bigger babies..and hopefully play with some..on MY rods..:)

11. crappielooker

comes to think of it..what will i be calling craig for the next year?? i have been calling him "the carp king" since i met him...heh heh..

12. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

You guys have a great time, someone be sure to post a bizzion pictures. It's my belief that pictures creates interest in a species. When people see pictures of the events, it's makes them want to be there. I know I wish I have made more events (more?...heck any of them ! ) like some in the past we had out of IN and Eagle Creek. Always a blast.
    Anyway, now that I'm looking at trout pictures they sure look like fun. I'd like to try some carp too, but have enough problems just trying to get out on the river these days.

13. flathunter

I might not come now, seems it may impossible to land a fish without alot of heavy line on your reels..I only use 15-lb test and use the same test as leader material...Are the Zebra mussles realy that bad where you have no chance to land a fish without heavy 80-lb line

14. PAYARA

PAYARA THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

Flat, thats not the case.i was useing 12lb line with a 50lb
    braid shockleader(not because of the mussles,but for casting)
    i had a good number of fish and only lost one! and i wasnet
    even bringing that fish in..if you fish high up on the bank
    (i dont think its totaly needed to fish with tips high when your
    up on the high bank)and play the fish up on the bank with you rod
    high you ''should'' be fine.i would however bring a hefty supply
    of lead just in case.lol this has to be the most mussle infested water
    i have ever seen.

15. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

After further thinking of this event, ive been invited to make an Ohio river trip the same weekend.....im leaning more toward the big river.

Hope ya all catch a few 20's each and have a great time, i would love to see the top fish go atleast 30 lbs+.

C ya,
    Scott

16. flathunter

Could someone send me a pm, I was hopeing Scott would be there?

17. I've pulled between 30 and 40 carp out of Alum this year and have not been cut off by the mussels. Don't let the threat of mussels keep you away.

18. crappielooker

to stick with the important things, can we please have a real head count here or something??..arrival times would really help..even if u planned on just coming out to BS and not fish..
    i'll see you guys who wants to be there on friday.. the game will be on my TV saturday, if anyone wants to watch..its Iowa week..

19. Miso_Ohio

Flathunter, it isn't really all that bad, but for me with 5 foot and 7 foot poles it becomes a pretty big issue. The knot is simple and there will be plenty of heavy line there to use as shock leader, I will have some with me myself you are more then welcome too. I don't think it is as much of a problem with the longer poles that some guys use, I know last year I was really getting frustrated (around 80 % slice off) until I switched over to the shock leader, big difference.

20. crappielooker

jack..i'm also using 15lbs test for my lines..come on out and we'll fix you up..