close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum Creek

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by bassmaniac, May 27, 2007.

1. bassmaniac

bassmaniac Fish now, sleep later

How or where in the world do you get into the smallmouth at Alum? I have been down there several times and find likely areas but just can't seem to get any. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Does any one ever have any luck burning spinnerbaits for them?

2. Went out last night for the first time this year. Walking the rocks along the 36/37 roadway gave me some of the best smallmouths I've caught there since moving nearby 13yrs ago. They recently did work on that stretch and changed all the rock and undersurface habitat. Working the rocks on the south side of the road was the spot throwing black and silver grubs.

Before they re-did the area that spot gave up a few largemouth and saugeye almost every outting along with the normal crappie and bluegill. Now I've not had a largemouth or saugeye since the work in the area. On the plus side the crappie have gotten much larger which makes for more fun on ultra-light set up.

Just picked up my first boat today so I'll be able to explore alot more this year :D

3. bassmaniac

Thats cool, sounds like a great time. What side where you on? Howard Road side or the other?

4. Heading west on 36/37 there is a pull and park spot on the south side of the road(left). I pull in there and walk the rocks in that area. Usually stay on the south side of 36/37 and occasionally go to the north side as it is now harder to walk and cast in the area after the work was done. But the water is much calmer since it's a no wake zone right there.

I was landing some nice black and white crappie on the north side last night. Made the guy that was fishing live bait a little mad as I was landing them and releasing while he did nothing but lose minnows :)

So I quite literally walk right below the road along the rocks. I don't bother fishing in the cove area or along the dirt shore right below the parking area. To many submerged trees in the cove to flip jigs and the shore line area is a shallow snag fest.

5. bassmaniac

Thats awesome, I usually put my boat in at Howard road is why I asked.

6. sycamore440

sycamore440 nothing like fishing

Ive had real good luck with smallies at alum creek over the years, i think the biggest ive caught was 18 inches off the beachy area north of chesire road. Ive caught them with everything from worms and top water jigs, but my best rig is a spinner bait with a fly tail, works every time!;)