close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum Creek

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by Lazy 8, May 22, 2017.

1. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

My 2 cents.

I am a crappie fisherman in NEO and favorite lake for crappie and large crappie is West Branch.
    As Top Raider stated they improve the overall quality of the fishery just like the wolves in Yellowstone keep the elk and bison herds healthier and cutting down the coyote population.

2. Lazy 8

Lazy 8 Does this place seem, "Seedy" or is it just me?

Since this is winding down a tad, I've got a question. I was reading about the guys asking each other where they were catching shad over on Hoover and it made me think, are you allowed to use live bait like shad to catch Muskies?
    And all you other fishermen, please Don't get me wrong, Muskie is ALL I fish for. I was bitten by the Muskie bug in a bad way. I have a love/hate relationship with them. It's kinda like your MIL driving over the cliff in your new Corvette.
    I'll prolly never fish with shad but it made me think???

3. I use suckers up north all the time in the fall, have definitely contemplated putting a big Skipjack on a quick strike rig. Imagine it would be tough to keep shad alive. But nothing beats live bait!
    That being said hooking mortality, keeping bait alive and the costs of suckers can be outrageous limit my live bait musky fishing to the fall when its a known tactic

Lazy 8 likes this.
  4. Lazy 8

I lived in central FL for about 3 years and I learned how to catch wild Golden Shiners sometimes as big as my hand. Largemouth loved them. I hooked them thru their upper lip and out one, "nostril" if that's what you call it. Others caught them behind their dorsal fin. I liked my way best. I think they stayed, lively longer.

5. I may be wrong but I think the law reads that you cannot use "Game" fish as bait. Bluegills, crappie, bass, muskies, catfish, etc. are considered game fish and shad, suckers, shiners, minnows, etc. are not.

6. I
    If crappie and walleye guys had any smarts, they would contribute to the musky minnow fund. Muskies thin out the weak and sick fish which allows the remaining fish to eat the food those fish would have eaten making the remaining fish far more health than they would be without the muskies.

7. Lazy 8

I always considered bluegills and crappies to be, panfish. I could maybe see where a crappie would be considered a gamefish but a bluegill? I suppose a sunfish is also?

8. Yes, that is my understanding.

9. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

You can use gamefish as bait. You just have to catch it legally, ie hook and line. You can't catch and keep gamefish with a net or trap and use it for bait. That is what is illegal.

Lazy 8 likes this.
  10. Lazy 8

11. I'm headed up to the UP, will get there tonight. Will be fishing through the 4th, in the crystal falls-all of iron county area. Hitting a few of my all time favorite local spots, hopefully have a good report. Rivers have been blown out so I might be hoofing it to some small inland gems or opt to night fish Chicagoan...which could pay off and I wouldnt mind if it did.

12. About 3 weeks ago,I made a walk up the Sam to look down in the spillway. The water was up but clear. I seen 3 muskie in the one section i could see bottom. And imagine there where fish sitting in the deeper section I normally see them when the spillway water is down.
    I imagine all this rain this summer is not helping the cause

Lazy 8 and TopRaider15 like this.
  13. Lazy 8

TP, how'd you make out up north?

14. Was a bust. Got to the cabin only to find the rig we use to tow boats had been taken for a joy ride...needed new power steering pump, radiator and front right rotor.....Man was I pissed. After dealing with that, was left with 1 day to musky fish and dam work (literally replacing a gate on the dam) at my favorite spot derailed any chance to get on musky water.

Think pounding water for 2 days without catching is frustrating, try driving 11 hours and not being able to wet a line. At least I'll be able to make it back up in 2 weeks and again in September. But was able to hammer a few nice crappie and bass on the lake our place is on.

15. Lazy 8

Man o man, I'll bet those kid's ears were burning or whoever did the damage. I'm just left to shake my head from side to side and say, dang. (I would of said damn but thought not appropriate)
    Well, look at it this way, smooth sailing now.