close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum creek

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by bluufrdtrk, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Has anyone fished alum recently? I wont be going there anytime soon but would love to hear some reports on the saugeye and smallies.
    thanks
    bobby

2. Gobi Muncher

Gobi Muncher mmmm.....tasty!

I haven't been on there this year, but made my first 4 trips ever last year. Plan on going tomorrow a.m. til around 11 - 12, and just going to fish around (still learning the lake). Anyone have any suggestions on the fishing? I think that the spots I hit for Crappie will be OK if they are in the same place as this time last year. How about the Saugeye or Smallies?
    Thanks!!!!!

3. HAven't been to Alum since early June, but had a great day nonetheless....

Partner caught 4 dink fish, 3 on cranks and the other on a fluke. I caught three keeper bass on a spinnerbait and a crank once the sun came out. I thought it surprising that my partner's fish came off of bare banks, banks that were really just dirt. No trees, no brush, nothing but brush. My bass came from around trees in the cove across from the Galena ramp. Actually called one when we pulled up to a submerged tree......Told my partner I was going to catch a fish on the tree, just engaged my SF Castaic and let it drop straight down along the tree, and wham! set the hook. I had so little line out that when I lifted the rod to set the hook, I just lifted the fish into the boat. Thought that was neat for sure!

The smallie my partner caught was off the dam. He caught the fish on a crawdad crank in about 15 FOW. He was pumping the bait not cranking. He drew the bait toward him , reeled in slack, and then drew it towards him again. Seemed cool in itself as it was his first smallie.

Eric

4. Thanks for the posts.
    bobby

5. Gobi Muncher

Fished 7/10 in the a.m. until around 12:30 in an Eastern cove South of the 36? bridge (the one before the no wake zone). Did pretty well on jigs and minnows, 40-50 Crappie (most on the small side) only about 1/3 were keepers of 10"+, 4 saugeye (1 keeper at 16"), and about a 5 lb. channel. All fish (except a few crappie) were released. Had about an hour that the Crappie were on a ravenous bite in a fallen tree, caught 6 on the same mangled minnow until there wasn't anything left to put on the hook. During that time, they were also chomping on the dead minnows too!!

6. thanks again for the info gobimucncher. i think my uncle and i will be trying the night bite next weekend, i will post results
    bobby

7. Gobi Muncher

No problem Bluufrdtrk. Anyone know what time the bait shop there on corner of Cheshire opens? Want to go again on Sat. but don't know whether to get bait the night before or not. Hopefully, they open by 6 or is there another shop that is open that early?
    Thanks.

8. I think its opens up at either 5 or 6.
    goodluck saterday
    bobby

9. To answer the original question, early this year it was tough. The rains and therefore fluctuating water levels made it difficult to find fish with any consistancy. The lake has become stable now, and within the last three weeks, I have caught 2 Fish-Ohio Muskies. Two Fish-Ohio Saugeyes have been landed in my boat the last week. Of course there have been lots of smaller Saugeyes, and other bonus fish caught. These include Channel Cats, Sunfish, Crappie, White Bass, and one 18" Smallmouth. I spend most of my time trolling points with cranks, and there has been no apparent depth that the fish have been staying at. You just have figure out what to do on the day you are there.

10. Thanks for the info, We arent going to get out the weekend but mabe next. Trolling cranks is our fav. way to fish alum also.
    bobby

11. Tilesetter

Tilesetter GET THE NET

Go out there with Bassangla he can put you on some fish. Trust me I've seen it happen.

[​IMG]

12. Got out for a few hours today, had to dodge into the ramp area for a while with all of the lighting that blew through this afternoon. Caught 1 18" largemouth on a crankbait.