close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum Creek Water Condition

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Troy Dave, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Heading to Alum Thursday PM to camp for the weekend. After looking at several weather sites it looks like the lake watershed could have gotten anywhere from 1 1/2 to 4 inches of rain. Would appreciate any information about water conditions. Thanks, Dave.

2. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

I would bet all 3 basins are going to be heavily stained.
    You will prob. have alot of the lake to yourself which is rare for August.
    The south basin (where the dam/beach are) will probably be the clearest.
    I would try Big Run which is the largest cove in the lake (west side).
    The fish will mostly be relating to brush cover. Fish bright colors with rattles, wide wobbling cranks may be the ticket for saugeyes.

good luck

3. Just went over Alum at Howard road water up alittle bit water is great not muddy bekieve it or not but not much water coming into Alum.:( Rain was more north and flowing wrong way towards Erie!! Have been north all day and from upper sandusky to lima to bucyrus to shelby and above is a wreck. Never before seen water over all 4 lanes of 23 like this morning. I would say unless more rain hits you will be fishing pretty nice looking water but Newbreeds advice stands true if it does muddy up south ends stays clear pretty long and otherwise coves will have some stain to them from runoffl

4. NewbreedFishing

WOW....Never thought the North end would have that kind of clarity Slim.
    Good news for those fishing Alum this could stir things up a bit and keep some of the pleasure boaters away for a few days at leaset.

wouldnt mind getting out on thursday troy!!

5. Yeah lake is in great shape clarity wise. But is still WAY LOW!! At least 4 foot i would say. I stopped and hit a couple shore spots and fish were biting. Got a nice largemouth about 15-16" on a vibee and at another spot got a 12" smalmouth. Put vibee down and started throwing a jig and got into a nice school of crappies. So i would say fishing should be great rest of week. If you can stand the HEAT coming high 90's again with major humidity.

6. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

I hear 97 thurdays, ouch, I would roast in the yak in that heat.

7. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

Bring the heat, i love it. Best time wade and fish. I always seem to have my best days when its really hot out. Numbers and size.

8. Fishslim,
    What size and color jigs are you throughing @ Alum for those crappies?

9. NewbreedFishing

whats the lake look like today slim?

10. The water color looked perfect as I drove across 36/37 today. I'll try to check out Howard Rd or Kilbourne on my way home.

11. Mitch it is perfect but still way low!! Only low flow up north coming looked at kilbourne had some muddiness to it but was not high or hard and all large rocks were visible so nothing done to harm lake thus far. Iwill let you know later in a post how the fishing is am getting ready to hook boat up right now!! Crappies,Smallies,White bass,Suageyes or anything else that goes after my jig or vibee LOOK OUT!! Fishdog by now you gotta know what i am throwing 1/th ounce jig chartruese 3" twister!:)

12. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Slim I don't have much luck with the chartruese 3" twister on Alum...

I'm normally throwing a 2, 3 or 4" white twister...

or a 2" baby shad or pumpkin seed... I tend to stay away from the chartruese.

13. Perchy just got in from Alum,Crappies were hitting chartruese just fine here is a picture of some we caught tonight. All on 1/8th ounce jig 3" chartruese tail!:) [​IMG]

14. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Yeah Yeah Yeah :)

I wanted to hit Alum tonight but pops was out of town and didn't get back in till dark... So I guess I will be going tomorrow night to throw those darn 3" chartruses tails and see how many pigs I come home with.

I will take an early guess... 0 :eek:

Anywho - Good catch tonight Slim... You never seem to come home empty handed.

15. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

is it going to be packed this weekend?

16. NewbreedFishing

way to go slim!!
    nothing slows you down bro!!

17. Should be if word gets out. But last night there was nobody out there. Should be packed this weekend. But mums the word!! Alum just GOT REAL BAD MUDDY,MUDDY WITH LOGS FLOATING EVERYWHERE!! If you are a pleasure boater do not come to Alum Fishermen Only!! :D There lt see if that works!! :p