Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a reminder to keep your stuff close. I was fishing at alum the other night and set my rod down about 15 foot from the water and against the outside of the ramp where the metal plate meets. I helped pull my buddies boat forward about 100 feet, talked for 10 minutes (within sight of the rod). another guy dropped his boat in where we pulled out. I walked back and it was gone. The dude obviously stashed it when we were talking. I should have known better than to leave a st. Croix avid laying there. It is a shame that people act like that. In the past I have fished and set my stuff down and walked away 100 feet and had no problem. So look out for short bald guy driving black medium sized truck with a cap on the back. I definitely learned my lesson. It is a shame you can pay for helping a buddy out. Hope that a hole enjoys the rod and reel.

·
Registered
10,478 Posts
Steve sorry to here that man! They will get theres. One way or another. Gotta waatch your stuff close. Know a guy that had his tackle bag full of saugeye gear swiped at buckeye while walking down the bank casting. He now uses a backpack. Its areal shame!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tend to see the best in people, and at the time he got on the boat, I wasn't thinking he stole it. Figured it go knocked over and I just didn't see it. Wasn't until after they pulled out and I saw that it was nowhere that I knew that he stole it. Have 2 other witnesses that verify he and the guy on the boat were the only ones there. I just want people to be aware of there stuff. There are a ton of great people out there that I fish the shore with. Just look at the guys on here who post rods they even found in the water. It only takes one bad guy to walk off with your stuff. This is just to remind people that although most the guys you are standing by are good, a few are not. So just keep your stuff where you can pretty much reach it. I hate not to be trusting of everyone, now I just need to be more careful.

·
Just practicing my cast
5,510 Posts
Slippy, sorry to here that( it' sucks) and I know it happened to me one time. And it was me that found the rod and reel at buckeye, it's on the post looking for my owner If you all get the time the ending is on it .

·
Registered
771 Posts
had all my gear stolen at the alum spillway once...i started wandering the shore with my rod, left all my gear and other rod under the bridge....all was gone when i got back.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The rest of my gear was on a picnic table well out of reach. I was fishing between a main dock and courtesy dock. Trust me, it was stolen. searched water with a spot light just in case, but if it was kicked over by the tip, it would have had to have been kicked in the upper 1/5 of the rod traveled 10-15 feet and jumped the wood lip before the water. Being that the majority of weight is at the reel and butt of the rod which was on the ground..... I am not a physics teacher, but have taken physics and don't believe it was possible. I was there for a couple more hours, and searched many many times around and around. Nothing was ever on the dock. Concrete section starts well away from the water, and the metal plate is where the wood attaches. I would have had to actually work to throw it in the water from where it was setting. Don't really know why you would question it. I spent hours going over and over it. Thought of every possibility and talked to every person who had a car in the parking lot. I looked in everyone's stuff.

·
Registered
500 Posts
What ramp was it at? We were out yesterday evening got run off water by storms last boat to pull out. We had a truck follow us out of the dock an damn near around town. We circled around a few times. He was 100% following our every move even into neighborhoods. We called Delaware county.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
578 Posts
I am sorry some a** stole your rod. I hope the guy develops a conscience and tries to return it. I also hope that its not one of us OGFers. A few weeks ago someone had something stolen from the back of their truck and it was returned. Don't give up yet.

Last week I put this sign in my truck window. Hope it helps.

Due to the high cost and unavailability of ammunition it is not economically feasible at this time to fire a warning shot. Therefore touch my truck and gear at your own risk.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
St Slippy sorry about your stuff being stolen. I was at the marina ramp at Alum a few years back. It was around midnight and I was by myself. I pulled up to the ramp and there was a boat on the same dock but on the other side. There was a guy holding a rope attached to his boat. When I pulled along side the dock the guy grabbed the rope on my boat and pulled me alongside. He said he would hold my boat while I went and got my truck. I thought what a nice guy. I got my truck and pulled my boat out of the water and headed home. I backed my boat into my garage and went to get my tackle box out but found out it was missing along with a rod. I didn't stop on the way home and the tackle box was very heavy and under the console so I knew it didn't blow out. I still remember what his boat looked like and I just hope I see him there again one day. I'm still trying to replace everything I lost that night.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I am going to stick my nose in this thread for a moment. I met slippy on ogf about 4 years ago and we are now really good friends. He called me after this happened and explained the whole situation on how it went down. He has every reason to feel the way he does and he is taking this a lot better than I would have. I have zero tolerance for thieves. I know he exhausted all options in believing this guy did not do this. Besides being a good stand up guy he always thinks there is good in everybody and never accuses anybody unless he knows he is in the right. If you all ever have the pleasure in meeting him you would know what I am talking about. I have other good friends I met on ogf and i would stand up for them in this situation also. I think the main point of this thread was a heads up on what is
Going on at alum not to just accuse someone for the fun of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts