Ohio Game Fishing banner

Alum Creek Saugeye Bite

12K views 51 replies 22 participants last post by  fishslim 
#1 ·
I ended up Saugeye fishing several times this week while on vacation. And the results are great for me. Monday morning I limited out by about 10am. Tuesday took a little longer however, I was off the water by noon. Thursday morning until early afternoon when my stomach said time to go however, it was a killer day to fish. I lost count but surely it was plus 40 fish. Most of the fish were short but the action was fantastic!
I was able to slip out Friday round 3pm until 6:15 and picked up four keepers and lost a couple keepers along the way. I forgot to take pictures of the catch on Tuesday but, no matter.
All of the fish were between 15.5" and 20" with one fish measuring 24.5" which was caught Thursday.

The water temp started out a little over 60 Monday and Friday afternoon I saw 58.7
My lures were simply 3" Venom twister tails (No minnow), Blade baits and Big Joshy swims.
I worked both middle and lower sections of Alum and the results were the same.

Tight lines!

Attachments

See less See more
#34 ·
Food Staple food Fish Cuisine Salmon-like fish

I caught this one this morning just after daybreak. Wind blown shoreline casting a gold vibe. I was kicking myself because I'm sure I could have done better with a stick bait but I only had 45 minutes and just took my rigged rod and 1 extra blade bait in my pocket. Fished the blade quicker than I would have liked because I didn't want to lose it. Haha.

#35 ·
Hit Alum this morning about daylight and left about 10am. The wind was blowing big time from the Northwest causing white caps, when I called it a day.
The best bite was 1/2 oz blade baits from 25-34' of water. The fish finder showed a water temp around 48 degrees and very clear water. The last hour was spent trying to get a six fish for limit before conceding due to the wind.
Food Vertebrate Animal product Fish Ray-finned fish

The smallest fish was 15.5" and the big one right at 18.5" and they will be great eaters for sure. Hopefully Wednesday morning I'll be able try my luck again?

Good luck!

#41 ·
Only 3 last night very slow pulls with a long pause and very subtle bites. Missed more than were caught. Anyways you know how on a slow nights you get to thinking of things? The rod I was using I havent tied on a new lure or retied in over a month. Then on a 30+ sec pause I felt another tick tick set the hook rod bent in half and I had a monster eye. Seen it a little ways out and thought this is the biggest saugeye I ever seen. Then it took off rolling, turning doing anything to get away. After a good fight I did get it in on my really light, med light rod. And truthfully disappointed not the saugeye I was thinking.
Water Fish Marine biology Salmon-like fish Fin
It was exciting but after releasing him I realized that f\*!ing fish got the best of that stick I had done pretty well with the past month or so. 1 hook missing other 2 all bent up, 2 eyes for the slip rings bent out of wack. Let the tuning begin. Ya it was not a big musky by an means 32" but in my mind it was a big saugeye for a minute. Guess thats one of the the reasons we do this.

GL

And Happy Thanksgiving

Attachments

#47 ·
I will say that Alum will continue to produce in the areas you have been fishing as long as you can get your boat in the water… Once upon a fishing trip we arrived at the ramp to find 1/4” ice covering the lake. We put in and broke through the ice until we got where we wanted to fish. I did increasingly large doughnuts until we had enough open water to jig in. Caught a nice bunch of eyes that day.
I love cold water fishing… warms the heart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.