Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Al,
If you have some warm clothes to be on the water for 3-4 hours, I have room in my boat. I'll leave the Goldendoodle home for a change. Just bring a pole or two and I'll supply all your needs without a problem. That said, I won't clean your fish tho.
I would love to hook up with you as I’ve been fishing Alum since before it was done filling, but have only fished out of the boat with other Alum anglers once over the years. It would be fun to see how you fish the lake.
One slight issue though… I had an ankle replacement and bone graft a week ago today. It will be probably three months till I’m able to stand without crutches and another month and a half till things are mended enough to handle a day on the water.
I’ll give you a shout next fall and will get out there and hammer us some fish!
Al

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
One slight issue though… I had an ankle replacement and bone graft a week ago today. It will be probably three months till I’m able to stand without crutches and another month and a half till things are mended enough to handle a day on the water.
I’ll give you a shout next fall and will get out there and hammer us some fish!
Al
I had surgery on my foot August 16th. I went out in my boat for first time yesterday. Eye opening experience. Was going to go today, but with the high winds predicted I dont think it would be advisable. (for me) Biggest problem was once I was down on knees looking for lure in the compartments I couldnt get back up. I am wearing a walking boot which is like a cast.. little more flexible I guess... Balancing was also little bit of an issue. By all means wait till you do not need crutch's before tempting to go out.. I couldnt have done it last week when I was using crutchs to get around.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I had surgery on my foot August 16th. I went out in my boat for first time yesterday. Eye opening experience. Was going to go today, but with the high winds predicted I dont think it would be advisable. (for me) Biggest problem was once I was down on knees looking for lure in the compartments I couldnt get back up. I am wearing a walking boot which is like a cast.. little more flexible I guess... Balancing was also little bit of an issue. By all means wait till you do not need crutch's before tempting to go out.. I couldnt have done it last week when I was using crutchs to get around.
Last December I had a double osteotomy (cut and realign the fibula and fibula) in preparation for this surgery. (I had a bad break as a kid that healed crooked.) I had the procedure December 1st and wasn’t out on Erie until mid May. This recovery, hopefully will be a little quicker. I did this one a month earlier hoping to get on the water by early April. Had to sacrifice that late fall bite though…
The Golden Years….

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Quick question , When you folks are out jiging in that deeper water , how big are you going on your Jig heads? I would think is some of those deeper waters your mentioning your at least going 1/4?
I always have multiple rods rigged with different baits but generally a couple are rigged with jig heads, one 1/4 and one 3/8. (The other ones usually have a spoon, vibee type and a swimbait.) If the fish are deeper than 10/12’ my goto is usually the 3/8th. Occasionally the weight puts them off but if they’ll take it the 3/8 let’s you cover ground faster. Also, if you use pill shaped heads you can get down faster with a lighter weight.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I always have multiple rods rigged with different baits but generally a couple are rigged with jig heads, one 1/4 and one 3/8. (The other ones usually have a spoon, vibee type and a swimbait.) If the fish are deeper than 10/12’ my goto is usually the 3/8th. Occasionally the weight puts them off but if they’ll take it the 3/8 let’s you cover ground faster. Also, if you use pill shaped heads you can get down faster with a lighter weight.
Wow , 3/8 that's heavier than I would have thought to go, but yea makes sense

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Al,

You have been through a lot of work from the sounds of it.
Like you, I like to have a couple rods at the ready. And most of the time I have a 1/4 & 3/8 jig heads on them. I pour my own jigs and the 3/8 is a standard round head.
As for jig head weight, I will use 1/4oz and 3" tails down to around 30' and then I need that extra weight for anything deeper. Of course that is on days of low wind like we had last week.

I went out Thursday morning to Alum from daylight until 11am. And had it not been for a single Crappie caught, I would have had a big zero. The wind was really kicking before the front came in. The finder showed 56 degree water and no shortage of fish throughout the water column.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wind definitely slowed the bite on Thursday and Friday for me, as well. Marked good bait balls at the dam in 26-34 FOW and caught a cat and some perch. One perch spit the bait they were feeding on - couldn't believe how tiny! Went way deep on a bridge piling and caught some crappie out of 46FOW. Couldn't believe they were down there. Lots of activity on fish finder but only crappie bit. Stopped though because they seemed very stressed when I got them to the surface. One didn't recover. Suageye came near wind blown points in 24-26FOW. Caught five. All were 15" or a little smaller and released for them to grow up. All in South pool. BTW, been catching a ton in the 14-16 inch range. Next year might be sweet - or maybe I'm just on the spots where the smaller ones gather. Got to test out my rub rails docking on Thursday. Put a good nick in it when a wind gust blew me sideways. Better than the gel coat, for sure. Gotta love how the wind swirls on Alum! We'll see what next week brings... Feel for you guys who are on the bench right now. Hope to see you out there soon.

Hand Grey Fish Finger Recreation
Water Sky Vertebrate Cloud Fisherman
Fish Fish hook Recreation Ray-finned fish Fishing
Plant Fin Fish Seafood Asphalt

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Food Staple food Fish Cuisine Salmon-like fish

I caught this one this morning just after daybreak. Wind blown shoreline casting a gold vibe. I was kicking myself because I'm sure I could have done better with a stick bait but I only had 45 minutes and just took my rigged rod and 1 extra blade bait in my pocket. Fished the blade quicker than I would have liked because I didn't want to lose it. Haha.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hit Alum this morning about daylight and left about 10am. The wind was blowing big time from the Northwest causing white caps, when I called it a day.
The best bite was 1/2 oz blade baits from 25-34' of water. The fish finder showed a water temp around 48 degrees and very clear water. The last hour was spent trying to get a six fish for limit before conceding due to the wind.
Food Vertebrate Animal product Fish Ray-finned fish

The smallest fish was 15.5" and the big one right at 18.5" and they will be great eaters for sure. Hopefully Wednesday morning I'll be able try my luck again?

Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Sounds like a great time and the weather is really nice with the sun shining too.
There is some nice wall like areas just north of the dam and west of the old creek bed that should prove worth while for you.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Went out Wednesday morning from daylight until about 11:30 and ended up with three keepers and several throw backs. I ended up releasing the keepers for another day of fun.
All fish were caught around 28-32' on blade baits. The water was 48 degrees and clear.

Good luck!!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts