Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming off the lake and saw something very cool. As I was tying up at the dock I saw a Muskie floating nearby. I thought it was dead but then I noticed that the gills were moving slightly. I grabbed my net and performed CPR. The fish was around 44" long and as it was swimming away an ODNR truck backs on the ramp and ODNR folks start unloading dozens of huge ski's. ODNR was aware that a lot of big fish had gone over the dam during the high water. Now the fish were in danger of dying in the spillway. Eventually, it will stop raining and the spillway will not support that many big fish. Neither will the creek. They decided that a rescue was in order. They were shocking the fish and putting them back in the lake. I want to thank ODNR for the effort!
I don't know how many fish were saved but they were releasing some trophy size muskies. Some of the fish were still stunned by the shocking and were floating belly up. I asked if I could revive them. The folks gathered around the ramps helped and there were no floaters when I left. Even if some die the fish have a better chance for survival in the lake than in the spillway. ODNR you rock! By the way, the saugeyes are snapping!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Very commendable!

·
Eye for 'eyes
175 Posts
great report sixtyminutes! As for the saugeyes...no photo of the lake with pointers showing us where you were??? I hope to find some in the next few days and hope the earlier report put myself and maybe a froend on a few! Buckeye has been great this year but with the warnings and all, I'd prefer to eat the saugeyes we catch up to the limit anyhow:D so I'll hope to contribute some useful info soon!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts