close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum Creek Pics

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Mushijobah, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Here are some recent fish I have caught...with short descriptions.

[​IMG]

A monster largemouth I landed at Alum.

[​IMG]

Decent smallie, 14", not as nice as that largemouth sadly:(

[​IMG]

This feisty green sunfish smacked my jitterbug while casting the the elusive muskellunge...my heart fluttered.

[​IMG]

A true creek saugeye...notice no spotting, verticle bars, and white tip on caudal.

[​IMG]

Contemplating my quarry..

2. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

These fish were all caught on small spinners, and 3" Venom twisters on a 1/16 oz. jighead....Oh, and a jitterbug ;)

3. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Cool, were you trying to say that you caught a true creek sauger. Seems to me it is just a young saugeye, but I could be wrong. Nice fish. I hope to catch a largemouth bass that size some day! lol ;)

CG

4. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Not that I can tell the difference of the two, I have read that it is POSSIBLE for hatchery raised Saugeyes to reproduce naturally, they are not all sterile, but their bio clocks are messed up, and don't really know where or how to spawn in any kind of numbers, and where both species live(walleye and sauger) you get some naturally saugeyes. Wonder if you get the normal male sauger with female walleye(normal type of hatchery fish) and get the female sauger/male walleye mix? Wouldn't it look the same but be smaller?

5. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

That is a saugeye...which is pretty rare among my catches of sauger in the lower stretches of that stream.

6. crittergitter

Ok, I see. You are saying it is common to catch an occasional sauger, but a saugeye is rare. I had it backwards.

CG

7. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

i caught alot of what was thought to be S-eyes in the Darby last year. looked alot like that fish. so they were s-eyes. are saugers rare to get? Whats one for sure way to tell its a sauger or s-eye? thanks.

8. crittergitter

I am not sure if I could tell the difference between a saugeye and a sauger. However, I have read that sauger prefer cooler deeper rivers and they are not generally a common sport fish in most river systems in Ohio, but they may be in the Ohio and could migrate up the tributaries.

CG

9. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

They are common in all relatively large O-River tribs....and even exist in a few Lake Erie tribs. The fish above IS a saugeye because.....

1. There is no speckling on the dorsal, and bars are present.
    2. There is a white tip on the bottom of the cadual fin (tail)

If the fish has distinct speckling on the dorsal, then it is most likely a sauger. There can be exceptions though.