Alum Creek Lowhead # 2 in process of removal.

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Mushijobah, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Hello all,

Just wanted to update anyone who is interested about the lowhead removal project going on in Bexley. The first lowhead is gone as of mid-october. It was located at Wolfe/Academy parks near Bexley. The second has been breached, and will be fully removed within the next few days. It is located at Nelson park. There are already a few new riffles and pools behind the Wolfe park site. Say hello to and increased smallmouth, sauger, drum, catfish population! This stream is now freeflowing from the Ohio River in Portsmouth, to the Westerville Water Supply Dam @ Otterbein College. Another win for Central Ohio streams!

2. Catman63

Catman63 Flathead Fanatic

That's definitely good news!

3. jenningsm21

jenningsm21 steelers5

Does that mean that it is poss. to kayak Alum Creek? If so, starting how far north to how far south can i go with incurring a dam. Would it be poss. to get to Three Creek Park. I know there are some shallow parts, no problem, just wondering. TKS in advance.

4. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

You can start below the lowhead dam at Otterbein in Westerville and float as far at the Ohio River if you want! So yes, you can go from Otterbein to 3 Creeks Park without obstruction...other than some shallow water!

5. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

that gave me an idea.

6. jenningsm21

jenningsm21 steelers5

Ths for reply, Have a Manta ray 12 fishing kayak, and been dying to do some stream and creek fishing or just city drifting. Again ths. for info.

7. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

Three Creeks is sweet for a canoe ride. I took part in a city-sponsored canoe ride a few years ago, IIRC we put in at Watkins Road. Plus there are a few ponds in the area.

8. I fish Alumn all the time in a Kayak. It can get choppy sometimes but if you've got a fishing kayak, you should do just fine there in winds less that 15 mph. Anything over that you'll see white caps. I've been caught out there when the wind picks up and it was a little nerve wracking. However even with those winds stay west of the main berm and you'll be okay or stay west of 37 which is a no wake zone and you'll still find plenty of places to SAFELY fish

9. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

I explored both regions of creek today that have been uncovered by the removal of the two dams. THEY ALREADY LOOK AWESOME. Riffles in places I thought I'de never see them. It makes me almost tear up seeing the stream I have religiously fished my whole life actually turn into something to speak about. There are some really deep holes still in the outside bends that are probably holding nice eyes already. I might have to fish it before spring! Including pictures soon.

10. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Here are some pics from what used to be a shallow, stagnant, and minimaly diverse 'pond' behind the lowheads.....After only 5 days!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can anyone pinpoint where these pictures were taken?! If you can, GOLD STAR AND KNOWLEDGE OF A FUTURE SMALLIE/SAUGEYE HOTSPOT!!

11. jenningsm21

jenningsm21 steelers5

Hey you guys are loaded with great info

12. Clayton

Clayton Fly guy

Wow Mush, that's some LOW water :(

rain rain rain :p

However, with the outflow from the dam pegged at 6CFS, it probably won't change anytime soon :(

13. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

That low water is GOOD! The sand/mudbar areas you see exposed used to be below the surface of the water when the dam was in place downstream. In a few years that muddy sandbar will revert to vegitated floodplain, and the stream will meander on through it. Sorry for the mixup!

14. Clayton

Clayton Fly guy

Nah, I understand that part :-D I love it, too. Creek/stream fishing is a blast, especially using only the front half of a fly rod :)

What I was commenting on is that it doesn't look like there's enough water left to fish, hardly :(

15. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

A freind sent me a newspaper clipping about dam removals in New England. Some were ~200 years old and they accumulated a lot of sediment behind them. Now the streams are cutting down through to their original elevation. In some cases they're excavating the soil and transporting it back higher up in the same watershed where it came from.

16. fishnwithjoe

fishnwithjoe Fishnwithjoe

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  17. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

All that represents is The Truth about your ignorance. You know, you could actually research the subject a little bit, before posting a diatribe of personal opinion on the web as some absurd "documentary."

18. symba

symba Kayak Conquistador

I could not have said it any better. I guess any joe six-pack schmoe with a video camera and an opinion can post a video on youtube and call it a "documentary."

What kind of backround do you have for making such statements in said "documentary?" Are you a stream biologist? I ask you would do some reserach on this subject Joe, I know you have the Internet! Its very vital to backing up statments made in such "documentary." I know and believe that it is the general consensus of the scientific community that this dam removal is necessary for the restoration of the Olentangy. If you and 2 people who fish this "pristine fishery" disagree, fine. The world needs the ignorant...

19. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

without resorting to personal attacks I want to say this...

I think taking down dams is a good thing. I also think that shortly after taking down a dam it may appear the fishing has declined because dams naturally (ha!) create an environment that consolidates fish thus it gives the appearance of better fishing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.