close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum Creek Lake Drawdown

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Net, Oct 28, 2008.

1. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

With the water at 880, will any of the ramps be launchable with a bass boat? Howard is probably out of the question, but will Cheshire, New Galena or the Marina be alright?

2. Clayton

Clayton Fly guy

I would like to know the ramp status too... it was pretty hairy last week, and they weren't done drawing it down yet.

3. Even at normal winter pool (885') the permanent docks are not much help after they pull the floaters. The concrete pads should be fine at 880'. It just takes a little extra effort without the docks.

I haven't noticed if the state started pulling the floaters yet. Anyone?

4. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

Several years ago they pulled Alum down to do work at the Galena ramp and there was still a good amount of ramp left in the water for loading and unloading. Where the problem lied for me was when it gets that low and all the algae on the concrete is exposed the ramps get slippery as snot once the algae gets wet from other boats going in and out. I almost lost the truck and trailer that year because of this and only having a 2wd truck. It was a late Nov day so there was not many people out there to assist. I had to keep my foot on the brakes as the emergency wouldnt hold the front wheels since the backs were on the slick surface. I said a few prayers and rolled down the windows and was about 2 minutes from jumping out the windows. Then then outta nowhere someone came by the ramp and helped me get it out, phew. When loading and unloading what you can do is find a good place along shore where you can beach the boat if your not comfy with letting it sit on the ramp while you park. All in all having someone to help is the best way but beaching works good if your alone. I havent done it but there was a guy out one day that threw a big industrial rubber rug on shore and pulled his boat onto that to prevent the hull getting tore up from the shore.

I wouldnt recommend using Oshay anymore this year or atleast until the water comes up a few feet. A buddy tore his truck up getting his boat out last weekend. The way he explained it is it drops off right after the tires get in the water and then comes back up to about 6" under the surface. Should be interesting seeing the rest of the pontoons and boats in the docks come out...

Heard guys are hitting bottom launching and loading up at IL (moundwood) too. Was out there about 3 weeks ago and it only showed about 2 feet deep off the end of the ramp at moundwood.

This time of the year be extremely cautious, slow down and be safe. Good fishing out there but dont take any risk.

Sowbelly

5. Good points Sow'. Even with 4wd, when it's slippery like that I try to back in as close to the dock/rocks/etc as possible. I figure if she starts to go I can always jack the wheel and force the front end of the truck against something solid.

6. sowbelly101

Good tip there. I also started launching all the time, any season that is with the windows down.. Never know when a brake line could let loose and your trapped inside with the windows up. I have seen the video's on TV and the internet that show how hard it is to get a door open in a vehicle that is under water...

Sowbelly

7. I wondered what happened. We built our duck blind up there two weeks ago. We went to hunt it saturday morning, and there was 100 feet of shoreline between it and the water ,as two weeks ago it was on the shoreline.. I used the ramp above chesire. Smoked the tires coming out with just the trailer.:confused: Coming out with the boat, kicked motor and a couple hundre pounds of decoy and hunting stuff, it was quite fun with a 2wd drive truck.. Has anyone tried to take a stiff bristle pushbroom with them, and knock away some of the slime, where your tires will be? Thanks.

8. I take a rubber wheel chock and tie it with a small length of rope to the bumper, as my emergency brake does not work well. It keeps me from going backwards into the water, and when I pull away, the rope drags it up behind me, that way the boat tires do not run over it.. Guess you have to do some goofy stuff when you drive a small 2wd toyota truck.. :)

9. sowbelly101

I would think bagged sandbox sand would work better then a brush... Just throw some down where the tires are gonna hit.

Sowbelly

10. Another thing you can do is just get some gravel or small rock from along the bank and put down in front of your rear tire... Just alittle traction will start you moving. The main thing is to go a easy as possible. The more your tire spins the slicker it gets.. Good idea is to have someone with you. Not a good time to be alone at this time of year.

Just my 2 cents
    GarryS

11. OSU_Fisherman

After all of these responses I might just have to stick with Griggs for the rest of the season. I was hoping to get up to Alum this weekend and chase some crappie/white bass around, but maybe a Largemouth trip to Griggs will be in order.

12. This problem could happen at any of the boat ramps at this time of year.... Just giving you a heads up.... Its not just Alum Creek....

GarryS

13. Clayton

Clayton Fly guy

Hell, don't get in a big hurry, I got stuck with my 2wd truck at griggs a freaking month ago!

I'm gonna try my hardest to hit Alum up on Sunday :) if nothing else, we can help tow each other out lol

14. OSU_Fisherman

Well Griggs is pretty close to normal level right now. I don't even think my front tires on the truck end up on the ramp before the boat starts floating.

I might try Alum on Saturday, so if I hit any problems I'll post it.

15. BigRed

BigRed Just keep casting ...

I haven't noticed if the state started pulling the floaters yet. Anyone?[/QUOTE]

I called Alum State Park today (Wed, 9:30am). They said the floaters are out. They also mentioned the need to be careful due to algea ... just like the other guys on this thread warned.

Sounds like it's a two-man launch job & a bucket of sand.

16. Hey thanks for that follow up BigRed. I could use guys like you on my team here at work...lol

17. Thanks very much for posting this, looks like I'll be calling it quits for driving down from Mansfield.

18. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

I may go to alum tomorrow and will give updates when i get back. May take some sand just incase. For those that don't know alum very well. If you do go be extermely careful running your boat. Stay in the middle while running and you'll be fine. Those points and flats run way out in the lake and some areas a couple hundred feet from shore may be only a foot deep with big rocks and foundations. Every year i see someomes day ruined by not staying in the middle of the lake while running. A few i see are lucky and manage to skim through some super shallow stuff, freaks me out. Also be careful of the roadbed in front of big run, I can guarnetee you will not make it across this time of year. Enter from the east side and you are fine. Be safe out there.