Alum Creek Crappies?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by gman, Jul 15, 2008.

1. gman

gman Your bobber's gone!

Heading out in the AM for some Alum crappies. Anyone having any luck? Will be in a boat but don't have any electronics yet. Usually bank fish and as you probably already know it's been tough the last month or so. Would appreciate any tips. Thanks.

2. Hit the points starting shallow & work your way out to deeper water. The fish are holding around 12 feet with lots of suspended fish 4-6 feet down. Some points that fairly close to shore & on others it can be 50 yards off shore. The bite has been pretty light so go with light lures & sensitive rods. Without a depth finder that's where I'd start.
    Tight Lines,
    Tim

3. gman

gman Your bobber's gone!

Thanks T-180

4. GMAN - Things have been pretty slow out Alum until recently - However, alot of the Crappie have been 8 to 9 inches. I like fishing around the bridges this time of year because I always seems to find crappie holding to them. Use a small jig tipped with a wax worm.

5. gman,
    If you can afford it, a depth finder is nearly a must this time of year (always actually). It's difficult without one, thus the advise I gave. Doesn't have to be a top end unit, just a decent, name brand that's mounted properly. Get to know & trust those electronics, & your catch rate will go through the roof !! You should be able to get enough crappie for the table / freezer almost every time out @ Alum.
    Good Luck,
    Tim

6. gman

gman Your bobber's gone!

Thanks for the replies fellas. All this guesstimate fishing is getting old and boring.

7. Looking for the 9 to 10" crappies at alum creek area How is the fishing