close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum Crappie

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Snyd, May 17, 2004.

1. Fished Alum on Sunday from 6:00 Am untill 1:30pm. The front that moved through must have pushed the big females back into deeper water. I fished all my spots and was only catching small crappie. So I decided to move into deeper water where some stumps were located in about 14ft of water. In that one place I caught 14 keepers with the biggest being only 12 inches. I say only because in the past two weeks I was catching them in the 14 to 15 inch range.
    Most of my crappie were taken from an orange jig. Forsome reason they did not want a minnow.
    I plan on being back up at Alum this weekend. I hope the big females that have not spawned yet will move back in the shallows by then.

2. Great job on the crappie. Sounds like you have been getting some real nice ones! I have pulled a few nice ones out of Deer Creek the last few weeks but no 14 or 15 inchers yet.

3. Snyd,
    I caught several crappie Sunday over 12", I was finding them close to brush and trees. Best cover was trees laying into the water, rather than standing timber/stumps. If the end of the tree hung out over deeper water, so much the better. I got most on chartruese and minnows. Had to throw very tight to cover to get bit but when the hit, they meant business.

4. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

i killed em too on sunday up by howard

5. Beatsworking - What time did you start fishing on Sunday? I started around 6:00Am and had a hard time finding the bigger crappie in the early morning up in the shallows. Later that day around 12:00 I did start fishing again in the shallow water and started to catch a few. I think between the front that came through and the morning coldness might have keep them in deeper water until later in the day when it warmed up.

6. I had just got into the boat to pull away from the courtesy dock when the first wave of tourney boats rolled through, about 6:30. I did not start to fish for crappie until around 11 or so and did not find them until about 1 or so. I was getting them adjacent to 10-12 feet of water, near the drop and tight to cover. Once I patterned them, it was pretty fast action after that. I think that I could have done better if I had taken the time to search earlier. They were not shy about biting, the ones caught on minnows did not play with the minnow and slowly pull the bobber under like crappie often do. They would hit and pull the bobber out of sight very quickly. They also popped the jigs pretty hard as well. I don't know if they had lockjaw early or were buried in the brush. I know that if I was more than a foot from the cover, I would rarely get a bite.

I was in a Tracker Targa 17, with a walk-through windshield. I saw a red Tracker Sunday but I cannot remember where on the lake! I hope to have time to get back up this coming Sunday, got a nice bag of fillets for the family campout fry.