close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum as of 4 pm 1/9/05

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Warpath, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Stopped by the New Galena ramp this afternoon to check out the lake. At first it looked like it was only up 4-6 foot, but when you get closer to the ramps, you can tell it is much more. Talked to one of the PArk Officer I know and he said it was 895 foot above sea level. Which would make it 10 foot above summer pool. It must be 16 foot above winter pool.

Also, he was giving warnings to two boats on the water. The lake is still closed to all activities apparently. He said that tomorrow, they would be opening up the dam. He also said that Delaware was much worse, and that they had opened the dam today there.

Eric

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Thanks for the update war. Look out for the rivers below the dam. Might have to try and slip up there when they open the dams.

3. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Stopped out today also. got some pics but havent loaded them. i was on backside of lake. starting at kilbourn bridge the water is all the way up into the parking lot a ways. Went down hogback rd the water was up to the road in the flat stretch. Went to howard rd ramp and the water is all the way across the parking lot except about a 10 ft strip by the bathrooms.

4. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

The lake pictures I would love to see is Dillon. I heard from a good source that the beach house and parking lot is under water. I was there last summer, and know how long of a walk it is downhill from the beachhouse to the lake itself. I cannot even begin to imagine what that must look like.

5. I talked to my Father-In-Law yesterday. He had just been in the Dillon area and talked to several friends in the area. Apparently they can't release any water from Dillon (or at reduced rates) until the Ohio River recedes some more. The water is up as high or higher than ever before. Any rainfall now could be devestating.

As a side note-in the '60s he owned/operated the family farm that was within Dillon's "High water pool" so the Corp of Engineers bought them out. Now he knows why!

Tim

6. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

here are dillons numbers http://www.lrh-wc.usace.army.mil/wc/dilns.htm by this it is only 10ft. from the overflow spillway for all though who have been there the spillway it the driveway that gose to the backside of the dam that is a far cry from its normal pool usually that it a good hike to water level from the driveway

7. I don't have the pix, just some video (and I'm not geeky enough to convert VHS to .mpg etc.). I would love to see some aerial photos...

I stopped by Dillon on Saturday just before they opened the gate (slightly). The Corps officer said it would be 2-3 weeks to get back to winter pool without more rain, etc. The Licking River is still covering the two bridges near my home and looks like a reservoir more than a river. I wanted to go for a boat ride around Black Hand Gorge, but didn't have the time to do so. I have to admit that there's a certain novelty in seeing the tops of the trees from my boat...especially since there's no great disaster in this flood to taint the experience.

For the silver lining...I hope the flood washes out a few holes and deposits some nice logjams in the lower Licking River. The upper end of Dillon (lake & river) could use some new wood, too...Maybe the wood will keep the bass boats out of there :p There have been too many catfishermen up there lately, too! :D

8. Toboso-

I'd say there's a good chance of gettin' wood-so to speak. There's literally tons of it down all over the watershed from the ice storm a couple of weeks ago (as I'm sure you know). I bet some of it (maybe too much) ends up in Dillon.

Tim

9. hey, look up zanesvilletimesrecorder.com---picture gallery. they have some pics of dillon posted. one shows 779 ft pool level?

10. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Was at alum monday. They had the tube running full and 2 gates were cracked open water was up to the 2nd step on the stairs. Planned on going today but its rainning and got up late will hit it tonight after work.

11. I checked it out at lunchtime today. Water still running high, even with the rain. Checked out Galena on the topside, water looks like it has gone down about 18" since last weekend.

Don't know if they'll keep the flow going with the rain? The creek was coming up pretty good at about 1 PM.

12. :eek: Well they had better put the plug back in at the dam or the good Lord had better knock off the rain. If not there are some seniors at the center here ln Westerville along the creek that are going to have some wet asses. :rolleyes:

13. I heard on the news this morning that Alum was back at 895.3, which means if they got any water out the past few days.....it's back to 10' over winterpool again, and it will only get worse for a spell.

Eric

14. They shut the water off Tues. night around 9:00 PM. Going to try this afternoon. Someone told me when the current calms down they start to swim back towards the dam.

15. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

leaving now to go check it out and throw a few cast