close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum 7/18

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Buzzman, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Fished Alum this morning. Caught 3 keeper bass, 3 dinks and a 20" muskie. biggest bass went 4#'s. No real pattern established - fish came off of crankbait, spinnerbait, and c-rig.

2. Buzzman,

Are you carolina rigging the points? I'd really like to experimant with the c-rig but have never had any luck in establishing when or where to use it. What rod length and weight do you use? What line weight? thanks for any help!

Eric

3. The fish I catch on the Carolina rig are generally a little bit bigger. I was at Bass University in Cincinatti earlier this year - Larry Nixon claimed it is one of the best search baits around. I don't think you should limit yourself to points with this rig; although, anywhere with a good depth change next to a flat is usually a great place to start. If you've found an area that you know has bass in it. Back off a bit and try c-rigging around the area. You'll be amazed at how much you feel and learn about the area.

Alot of fisherman use a 7' medium heavy to heavy rod. Personally, the 7' rod doesn't feel right to me. I use a 6'-6" medium heavy rod with 30 lb Power Pro as the main line with 15 lb fluorcarbon P-Line for the leader. I like the sensitivity that the Power Pro offers and, with the low stretch, I can get away with the shorter rod for hook sets. For the weight, I like a 3/4 oz mojo weight. This time of the year, I like to go bulky - something really fat. Try a fat tube or a fat french fry / centipede type bait. A lot of guys are throwing lizards, so I'd try to be a little different in my bait selections. As far as leader length, you really have to experiment. As a general rule, I would start out with 18" to 20". Just give it some time and you should catch fish.

Hope this helps. Tight lines.

4. Buzzman,

Thanks for the great info about the c-rig. I have several of those quick rigs, and have never used them since I don't feel comfortable with them. I have some lizards as well, but I'll need to pick up some different c-rig type palstics that you mentioned. I do have some mega tubes from Yum, and they are 4 1/2 inches, so maybe that'll help.

Typically, do you use the same colors that you would when Texas-rigging a worm? And do you just drag the weight on the bottom and stop it occassionally?

Thanks agaiin for the great info. I can't wait to try it out.

Eric

5. I do use the same colors as when TX rigging. Some prefer to drag the weight, I like to move the weight with the rod moving from 10 to 11 o'clock positions, reeling in the slack while moving the rod back to the 10 o'clock position. Picture fishing the weight like a jig, the plastic trailing behind it, lifting off of the bottom and fluttering back down.