close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

alum 5/23

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by optimalj, May 22, 2007.

1. optimalj

optimalj Angler

taking my brother(beginner) out to howard ramp area. questions. never used live minnows, should i stop and get some? i keep hearing about muskies at alum recently, whats the biggest problem with keeping them on? will have fun...i guarantee it.

2. Me and a buddy were at Alum last week and caught crappie, perch, saugeye, bluegill and LM off of minnies(most fish were nothing to brag about) in my opinion it couldnt hurt, the biggest issue with Musky(even though I have never caught one, caught Pike before) once you land them is being very careful getting your hook back;) and all kidding aside I thought I read were its very important to get these guys back in the water ASAP.

3. 01mercLS

01mercLS It's Fishing not catching

Well first things first, what kind of fish are you targeting? Is there a certain type or just any fish? Get some minnows, worms, shad, and some chicken liver. Howard rd ramp is always a good spot for catfishing keep that in mind.

4. Pigsticker

Pigsticker State record bass or bust

Minnies aren't necessary but if your bro is a beginner it will make it easier for him to catch a few fish IMO. Just put out a minnie on a bobber and cast a jig with another pole and cover both bases.

Muskies are hard to keep on for a few reasons. First and foremost their huge and have teeth and incredible power for a freshwater fish and can be very scary next to and in the boat without adequate equipment to handle it. Also most people on here are hooking muskies by accident. Their usually not fishing for them with specifically with heavy equipment meant to handle them. Landing a muskie of any size on a crappie rig with 4-8lb test is a feat that most anglers can't pull off. Just the teeth alone cause most lines to break because unless you're fishing for them you wouldn't be using a leader to help against breakage. Almost forgot to mention that most panfish hooks will either straighten out or just rip out under the torque the fish will put you under.

5. optimalj

optimalj Angler

Thanks
    not really one who targets cetain species, just what's biting. will grab minnows with my nightcrawlers. don't have big rig for musky, but will not keep out of water if i do catch one. brother's a grown man, but i will have to dehook for him....whatever it takes to hook him! thank you all, will advise of our success.