close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum 10/30/04 in tha WIND

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by ShakeDown, Oct 30, 2004.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Got to the ramp this morning with my brother, and the wind was clippin pretty good. Only 1 other boater in the lot, and he got out of his truck, saw the waves, and went right back home after telling us "you guys are nuts" :D

Got out, hit our first eye withing the first 5 mins. Fishing was steady all day long, ended up with 6 eyes (all 15in+, biggest was 20) and a ton of crappie. We we're jigging Vibee's on one rod, jig/minnow on the other. The minnies were no comparison to the wrath of the vibee, which outfished them easily 10 to 1. To make things even cooler, I jigged up a 32in muskie on a vibee :D Made my day.

All in all, a rough day on the water, but the bite was on if you were willing to brave it out there. Once again, Vibees showed me how much they rock :D

Eyes/crappie were in 15-20 FOW, muskie hit around 12FOW. Trying to trailer a boat in 3+ foot waves, 30-40mph winds and no docks put hair on my chest ;)

2. Did you put in at New Galena?

3. ShakeDown

No...cheshire. Prolly would've been an easier go putting in at Galena, but we figured the lake between Cheshire/Dam would be rolling worse, and we didn't want to get caught in that on the way back.

I think Galena still has a dock in, cheshire docks are all out.

4. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

man all i been catchin is hell.... :D

sowbelly

5. toad

toad geriatrics supporter

Great catch on a rough day.Must of been tough jiggin vibees if you didn't anchor. Sounds like you had it down to an art though. What was the hot color? I like the gold with green trim, It always seems to produce the best for me.

6. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

Toad, Gold & Green is the hot one around here too right now. I've always been amazed how the heavy metal will out produce live bait day in and day out.
    Shake! You're getting corrupted, buddy! Soon you'll be wearing "Metal Head" T-shirts! Of course I'm glad to see the Vib-"E"s gaining more and more popularity, but I sort of miss those days 12 to 15 years ago when they were truly a "Secret Weapon", and very few of us were using them.

7. ShakeDown

toad...i tried my best to fish them with the bow into the wind, and compensating with my trolling motor. It was a chore, even more so because my troller doesn't have a constant on switch. Almost threw out a drift sock, but we were fishing close to shore (steep drop offs) and it would've been too hard to control.

Best color yesterday was silver body/chart head. Took a few on plain silver, plain gold, but that silver/chart combo was the ticket.

Yeah Jim, you metalheads have really made a believer out of me. You got me hooked on the vibee when you used to talk about them years ago, and Kim and Lewis sold me on jigging spoons. It's crazy how effective they are, and how many kinds of fish will hit em. Jigging up that muskie was just too cool :D

8. Should have tried yesterday it sounds like. Went out from 8-12:30 around the beach today. Tried vertical jigging, warmharnessing.. everything you could think of. Only got a few taps vertical jigging. 12-25ft... Wind picked up to point that I decided I had enough. Pulled the batteries on the boat today. Sad day.
    ying

9. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

yeah it was windy... tried fishing for about 45 minutes today and said the heck with it... best thing about the trip was i did help a couple guys get to the dock that the wind got the best of...

galena dock was still in today...

sad day, i must say... i dont take the batteries out til i can walk on the water... if i cant break it with the boat, that means its safe to walk on...hehe

sowbelly..

10. ShakeDown

Say it ain't so ying! The fall alum bite really hasn't begun yet man...this is our time to be out, without the frustration of jetski's and chachi's in their formulas!

11. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I'm thinking of putting mine up also. I hope to get out at least a few more times, but with hunting season here it's a tough choice. I'll give it a few more weeks and see. I really don't like fishing when I have snow blowing in my face. But this year I may just get out with some of the guys and try ice fishing again. Even an old guy can try it one more time. My wife still wonders why anyone would sit out in the cold, on a frozen lake to fish, and call it fun. They jusy don't understand sometimes!

12. Amen brother... I live all year for this. There's no real mechanical reason to winterize a boat/motor as long as you plan on using it. I think maybe the ying man found an alternate mode of transportation until ice-up :eek: . He's also addicted to those silver fish in the rivers up north.

13. ShakeDown

Ahhh...can't blame him there then...as long as he's wetting a line ;)

14. Yeah, I promise I won't stop fishing.. just going to have to bum rides from my buddies on here! - Maybe use their poles, and their lures, lights,etc.....
    First year with the new boat, it went too well to push it! There will be plenty more times to come. But for now, anyone thinking of heading out? lol
    ying
    - You're right, those fish up north...once you get one of those spooling line and jumping it makes you get excited to stand in 30 Degree water!
    - We must be sick!!