Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit up Alum from 5-8:30 this evening. Got 9 keeper crappie all in the 9-11 inches range. Caught them on a Microspoon purple flutterinng spoon tipped with a minnow. Also caught 2 Saugeye on this set up but they were both barely 14 inches. Did get my 3rd Saugeye of the night just before I left on a Blood Tiger 1/4 oz. VIB"E". It only went 14.5 inches. I haven't caught a Saugeye over 15 inches yet, I hope that changes! Good luck to all!

Matt

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just wanted to follow up on my report. All fish were caught in about 10 fow. Just a question and I don't expect anyone to give spots away or anything, but I am a shore chaser when it comes to saugeye and can't get to the real deep spots. My understanding is that they will be coming up shallow? Is this true? Just not sure what depth to expect to catch them at through December. Any information is appreciated!

Matt

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
We fished Alum Monday and caught fish at all depths. When you can find a tree down around 5' of water you should find fish. With the water dropping daily it will change day to day.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I am sure there are some guys on here that will help. Main thing I have always seen is transitions. Shallow flats that have deep(er) edges, will work. Wind pushing on a flat is great. Basic starting points, anytime you know of a change of depth you have a chance. deep to shallow seems to work for me. But that is just my personal opinion.

·
day late, dollar short
868 Posts
Dre, once the water starts cooling down into the 50 and especially into the 40s, the saugeye will be able to be caught in the shallows more often.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much guys, I really do appreciate the advice. The area I fished last night was similar to this, had a drop off down to 10 feet. Caught the 2 little Saugeye back to back cast, then no more eyes just crappie. Got a lot of exploring to do, which I love!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts