close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum 10/1 report

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by ShakeDown, Oct 2, 2004.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Got out around 5:30pm yesterday, lookin for eyes. Got our first 2 lines out, and before we could get 3 & 4 out we had a double smallie hookup. Then it was a mixture of white bass, smallies, and crappie until dark. Never saw an eye, but we had buddies out in a second boat and they only boated 1 keeper eye. Same deal with them, smallies and white bass.

The eye came in 25 feet, and we were both showing GOOD marks from 20-30 feet...just wouldn't buy what we were selling I guess. We thought about throwing some jig/vibees at em, but we got too lazy to pull the lines in.

The smallies and wb were all in 22 FOW about 12-15 feet down. Most fish came on spoons, with a few on cranks. As soon as it got dark, the bite COMPLETELY stopped. Not even a sniff...again, we probably should've jigged for em.

Great night out though.

2. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Sounds like a good time Shake. Glad to see you actually fishing for eyes :D

3. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

planning to get on alum some and do some trolling as well now that the temps are cooling off and the boat traffic is almost gone

4. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

shake..great to hear you hooked onto some smallies out there..how big were they??..i may need your toobin service to tow my butt out there sometimes in the near future.. :D

5. ShakeDown

Most of the smallies were 12-15 inches (one was 10 or so), nothing huge. Broke one off at the boat 2 weeks ago that was a solid 5, in the same area. Let me know when you're ready to go AK ;)

Trollin is a nice break from bassin...I rigged up a hillbilly removable rod bridge across the back, 2x4 with u-bolts clamping it to the rear cleats. Throw a wind sock out to slow down the big motor, crank the stereo on, and just enjoy whatever happens next ;)

6. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Shake, now your starting to sound like us older guys. I knew you were older than you said :D

7. F4F
    Give me a holler,I wouldn't mind hitting Alum maybe Wednesday morning.

8. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

sounds like a plan pm me work out the details, your set up for trolling aren't you? Or we can do what ever man.

9. FINMAN

FINMAN Old Junior Member

The fishing wasn't great, but the lake traffic has finally improved. We took a few eyes on crawler harnesses. Ran the big motor and a drift sock, just like Shake. Used heavy bouncers on the drop-offs. Snag city, but hey, thats where they were. All were caught in the 22 foot depth range, and all were caught from about 5:30 til dark. Judging from the way this football game is going, we should have stayed on the water. :mad:
    Heading back out tomorrow afternoon to try again.

10. F4F
    Yeah,I'm totally setup for trolling,and I have plenty of crawler harness' and bottom bouncers if we need to go that route.I usually have the best luck at Alum jigging Vib-e's,or trolling Shad Raps and Rip Shads off of the beach,or the face of the dam.We don't want to overlook the bass either,sounds like the smallies are turning on down there.

11. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

just wondering guys..whats the lake temps?? thanks

12. ShakeDown

I was seeing high 60's on Friday...

Yeah, I've lost more tackle in that lake...but what can ya do, gotta get to em.

13. la2ohio

la2ohio L.A.2Ohio

How are you trolling? Do you use downriggers or are you trolling straight back? Have never trolled at Alum and am not sure what to use to be effective. Any help or suggestions much appreciated in advance.

Thanks,
    Will (la2ohio)
    cadethardy@yahoo.com
    :)

14. ShakeDown

My setups are as follows, but keep in mind I'm a TOTAL rookie troller...

I troll 4 rigs total.

(2) shimano triton combos/line counters with 50lb braid
    (1) 6'6" st croix/quantam acs with 12lb braid
    (1) 7" st croix/shimano bantam with 12lb super mono

I've been running jet divers off the big combos, and straight trolling the st. croix's. I personally have never seen guys using downriggers on alum, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen...I figure that most would use leadcore before they'd do that.

Speaking of which, I do have a lead core setup that hasn't touched the water yet...might try it this weekend.

15. Try to keep in mind that there are very few large flats in ALum. You can have 40' one minute and 6' the next. Alum is a hill/land resivior (according to infisherman) I would strongly recomend to leave the downriggers at home. There are plenty of cheaper methods to catch fish trolling than using down riggers, jets or dipsey divers. Try using a 3 way rig or bottom bouncer with your cranks. Besides with the cooling water most species will be moving shallow at dusk into night.

16. ShakeDown

Erie Addict...before I started using jets, I was trolling A LOT of 3 way rigs. Kinda cumbersome to re-tie when ya loose em, and like you said that place is like an underwater mountain range, so you will lose them occasionally...I ditched the 3-way for a jet, and it has saved me a lot of headaches. There is a bonus I found with the 3 way rig though, and it's you don't need heavy duty gear to troll them, compared to jets/dipsys. You did make a good point though...I do often find myself letting line out/reeling in a lot with the jets, just to follow the contour...can be a BIG pain if you hit one of those 6 foot humps in the middle of 30 FOW.

What lb leader you running your cranks behind bouncers with? Do you use the bouncer to "tick" the bottom, or just as weight to get it deep? I tried that once last year, and had a stupid flash and threw a deep diving crank behind it. That thing was punching the bottom so hard, I think I made that part of the lake a few feet deeper ;)