close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alternative to "mounting"?

Discussion in 'Ohio Bait, Tackle, Taxidermy, etc. Marketplace' started by shred_thumb, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Does anyone have any good "do-it-yourself" resources for mounting? I've caught a number of a fish that I'd love to look back on, but the prices deter me from doing so.

2. Other than a framed picture on the wall, no.

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

just mount the head ,if it's from a big fish,like a pike or an eye.i think people would just dry them out and shellac them or something to that effect.

4. That leaves you with a dried piece of raw meat. Trust me, NOT something you want in the house. Especially if your married. :D

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

We've had some nice mounts done and then had some not so nice mounts done. :eek: If it's really worth remembering, spend the $ and have it done from someone that really knows what they are doing. I will also say though, that a nice framed pic on the wall looks great too!

6. Check out this website. They do some pretty cool stuff with photos.

www.wudyaget.com

7. A buddy of mine just turned me on to www.wudyaget.com. Local guy that customizes hunting/fishing photos with some pretty creative options. He says he's had a few done and was thrilled. Thanks for all your suggestions.

8. A buddy of mine just referred me to wudyaget.com. A local guy that does some pretty amazing stuff with your hunting/fishing photos. He said that he'd had a few done an loves 'em! Thanks for your advice.

9. EMRDUCKS

EMRDUCKS "SUPPERS READY" ON 68

If Your Located In Ne Ohio Call Alan's Fish Mounting 1 440-983-1034 He Does A Great Job He Did My Walleye. His Price Is Good 5.50 An Inch.

10. Right now I'm trying to preserve the head of a Barracuda I caught in Mexico this summer. I'm soaking it in a formalin solution for a couple of months, then drying and shellacing it. It will be a dried piece of raw meat, but it should also be preserved and not decompose. If it works I'll post a pic.

11. Here is what you are in for:
    A. formalin is a known carcinogen and you'll be breathing it in for as long as it is on your wall.
    B. Salt water fish are overpoweringly greasy--much more so than fresh water fish--you cannot get it out.
    C. it will dry up, shrivel, and deform.....like raw meat, and smell like your high school dissection project.
    Please call me at 330-562-9801, or e-mail me at skipstaxidermy@yahoo.com. I'll give you some tips.
    Skip Schweitzer--Walk-in-the-water

12. I just checked out this site and it's quite impressive. Anyone know what they charge for those though? I couldn't find that out on the site.