close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Almost got skunked today while mushroom huntin'

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fishman, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I figured I'de go out shooming today since the weather wasn't condusive to fishing and it seems people are starting to find them. I opted to check out a piece of land I wasn't familiar with but have access too. Generally when I'm looking for mushroom I look in about a 5ft radius around me and walk very slowly. So I enter to the woods on a four-wheeler trail and head to my right, basically walking close to the wood line/pond line. Every so often I like to stop and take a broader view of things and just see if there are places that look "shroomy." So I came to a stop looked up and not even 10 foot away from me a skunk stands tail high in the air facing me. Out loud I said "Oh shoot" (didn't actually say "shoot" but this is a family site ;)) As soon as I said that he turned around and headed into the creek bank. Whew that was close! Never actually been that close to a skunk before.

I'm not superstitious, and figured seeing a skunk wouldn't cause me to get skunked while 'shroomin. So I continued one, looked for about 2 and a half hours and found nothing at all. Guess I should of took the hint when I walked in the woods!

Didn't get :S technically

2. ..could have been a real stinker of a day but at
    least you got out of the house ;)

3. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

It rained/snowed all day on me. Found a deer skull and an arrow with a 90 grain muzzy on it, still in great shape.

Was nice just to be out in the woods, and didn't find a single tick either! Thats the only thing cold weather is good for.

4. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

rover got sprayed once in wisconsin while i was there camping.. maan, it sucks to be camping with a skunky dog... even after washing him with all sorts of stuff, he still smell skunky after 2months.. :rolleyes:
    good thing you didn't peed him off, literally.. :D

5. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Man with as close as I was, I would of got sprayed before I saw him.