close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Almost broke in the other Abu 6500

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by katfish, Jun 6, 2004.

1. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Kayla and I got set up Friday evening. I got a flat going in the rain about 1 in the morning. Repeated hollering and flashlight in her eyes finally brought Kayla out of the enclosure to fight the fish from the deck of the Catfish Queen. :eek:

I held onto my grandaughter as she fought the fish for about 15 minutes. As it neared the bank it hit another line and shifted into passing gear. I heard the drag give a little then the fish was off. I consoled Kayla as best I could and tucked her back into her nice warm sleeping bag.

Saturday night was cloudy but no rain. I thought we were in luck since the clouds would keep the full moon from giving us moonburn :rolleyes:

The sky grew clear about 3 in the morning and a clicker sounded. I got Kayla to wake up but she refused to get out of her sleeping bag to fight the fish.
    She did pose Sunday morning with the cat.

[​IMG]

I just finished roping the fish up when another clicker went off. My little Abu 6500 that hasn't been broken in was purring. When I set the hook I again hollered at Kayla. She informed me she was comfortable where she was and told me to deal with it.

I was fishing a spot that ran shallow for a good ways out so I jumped in the little boat to fisht the fish out in deeper water. This also prevented the fish from making a quick run around a tree on the bank, as they sometimes do (Seevers ;) )

When I finally netted the fish I thought I had broken in the other Abu. A check of the scales told me the fish was only 49 pounds so it is not officially broken in.

[​IMG]

The lady fish was 43.

Both released to fight another day ;)

Maybe I can do better next week when I have more time to get into the groove.

2. Those are some nice fish! Keep them coming! Two fish like that are a great year for most people! Nice catch.

3. JUSTCRAZY

JUSTCRAZY Wurlds Wurst Spellor

Good looking fish there Robby. Seeing pictures like yours and some of the fish brought into Cripple Creek spread a virus threw me like wildfire, and I now must admit. There are going to be a lot of sleepless nights this summer sitting by the lakes.
    Just one of the many reason I will be single for life. Well that is unless I find a beautiful woman with a nice boat, good dog, nice cabin, and one hell of a piece of property!

4. Great fish Robby. I caught a 3 pound bass in the front lake this morning. :p
    Also have three channel cats in the lake that should be around 8 pounds now.
    Wanna come up and give it a try? :D :D Good luck on 70 plus pounds. :)

5. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Nice fish KATFISH!

6. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

woow..combination of the 2 that you're holding weighs as much(or more) as me..
    i'm sure next time captain Kayla will break in your reel properly for you.. ;) I always enjoyed reading your adventures robby..

7. Gollleeeeee. man are those some nice trophys. tell that grand daughter to keep up the good work, and ask her is she is ready to teach a few people how to catch some big ones like that, lol lol ;)

8. IMPRESSIVE! Robby you truly are the man when it comes to Flathead Catfish around here. Nice Job!

9. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

nice fish, i hope i can get into lakes and rivers more often

10. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

Nice Flatheads..

Kayla seems to know when the "little" fish are biting. :D :D :D :D

11. catking

catking Banned

Very nice indeed Robby !!! Where did Kayla pick up that bad habit of staying in the sleeping bag???........SEEVERS :D THE CATKING !!!

12. dip

dip dip

:eek: SEEVERS THE CATKING !!!

13. catking

catking Banned

Does read like that hey dipster :rolleyes: Seevers a CATKING :confused: That belongs in the comedy corner......... :cool: ........ :D Just a friendlt ribbin old timer..DA KING !!!

14. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

that ain't funny grillking :mad: :p ;)

next time i'm over there,i'll have chainsaw and that tree will no longer be a problem :D

15. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Rick

If you would catch em after daylight like Don does I would just wade out and retrieve em for ya :)

Well maybe it would cost you some twinkies cause wet BVDs are mighty uncomfortable and the band aids make knot tying a real pain ;)