close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

All You Catfisherman--Bait, Please!

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by iteech, Aug 30, 2007.

1. iteech

iteech Shebasser

I'm taking the grandson to a children's fishing derby on Saturday--and it's all catfish, they are putting about a ton in there and many of them are tagged...which of course means prizes if you get one. I do not target-fish cats; I don't like catching them so I've never gone for one on purpose...and just like REAL cats, they know who doesn't like them, and they consistently get on my line!!! I've reluctantly pulled up two huge ones (one 23 lbs) just in the last few weeks...I would have cut the line both times, but once I had an expensive lure I didn't want to lose, and the second time the grandson was with me and he was all excited. Anyway since I do not target them I want you guys to give me THE ABSOLUTE BEST CAT BAIT AROUND...I know there will be lots of opinions, but I'm goin' with the majority!! You're allowed to bring your own bait and tackle. So let me know! P.S. This will be day-fishing and most of the new ones may still be shocky...(do cats get shocky??)

2. fisherman5567

fisherman5567 Fishin Everyday

I can always rely on chicken livers anywhere anytime. But ive notice for new cats that have been dumped a simple night crawler will do the trick.

3. carxman17

carxman17 cincinnati fishaholic

Is this a small pond? nightcrawlers work good I also like shrimp. It seems to work really good on channel cats. stay away from prepackaged baits. they never have worked for me.

4. Fresh cut shad has always out produced other baits for me. Even when fishing small ponds with no native shad population they still seem to love it.

For smaller channels I like to use shrimp and squid also. You can pick up a pack of frozen squid @ Meijer for around $5-$6; let it thaw and cut into chunks large enough to cover your hook.

If you want to get a large fish - use a live gill. Most (not all) of my largest channels have come fishing live gills 5-8 inches.

5. they will no doubt be stocking farm-raised cats. those fish have never seen a shad, nightcrawler, shrimp, or whatever. they have been fed pellets all their lives. however, mother nature still passed on to them the catfish instict so your normal cat baits will work just so long as its not rotten. farm cats are really weird, one day they will bite one thing the next day they want something entirely different. ive noticed the farm cats really like fresh stuff. the absolute best farm cat bait you can get is catalpa worms if you can find them, they are a seasonal bait but your better bait stores should have them now. second best i would say is fresh shrimp. dont get the pre-cooked shrimp, get the uncooked with the shell still on.

6. neocats1

neocats1 Team Catastrophe

I agree with Dinks ideas about Catalpa Worms. I sihed a small pond once after they stocked a lot of 2-3 pound channels. I used Zest soap on the advice of the owner. It seems they are curious of the new smell. I don't know, but it worked once. Never tired it again. I might tonight since I remembered it.

7. we recenty did a derby and we used worms with bobbers and worms on bottom.

sometimes we use uncooked shrimp and they love that. Oh and my girls did very well in the derby. my 9 yr old got a trophy.

good luck and I hope they have a ton of fun.

8. hey iteech remember that private club i was telling u about, they stock farm raised channels every year and anyone and everyone at the club will tell u the first few weeks after the initial stocking we kill them on hot dogs, just go to wally world or krogers and look for john morrel(however u spells it) jumbo hot dogs, they cost like $1.98 for a pack of them make sure to get 2 packs, cut the hot dog into round slices about 1/4"-1/2" wide, take ur hook and put the point in and roll the hot dog on, dont let the point of the hook peirce the skin again itll weaken it, farm raised cats love hot dogs for some reason, dont know why, but we slay them on hot dogs at the club when there first put in.

9. I was at a kids fishing derby a few years ago and one of the locals swore by dry cat food and boneless skinless chicken breasts.

I have no idea what brand of cat food it was but they looked like dark brown cheerios. He said he just hung a couple on a hook.

10. chunkie alpo dog food in the can

11. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

like Dink has already said...they will most likely be farm raised cats....so all the traditional baits wont be familiar with them....but as he also said....catalpa worms are the thing right now....if you cant find the actual worms...go to wally world and get some catfish "tubes" and get a tube/container of the catalpa worm squeeze stuff and use that....other than that raw shrimp and nightcrawlers, will both catch fish after they are stocked...

12. We used to kill the farm raised channels on hotdog mustard after they where stocked. Take a nightcrawler already on the hook and dip it in a cup of mustard. Works best if used on the bottom. Redip in mustard about every
    7-10 minutes. This sounds crazy but it works really well, plus the kids when their younger seem to get a kick out of it.

13. Sleprock

Sleprock fishing cabrewer

had real good luck at cowan lake with nightcrawlers soaked in the red catfish spray from wallmart good bait there.