Ohio Game Fishing banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 722 Posts

·
bassing around
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was at a pond friday fishing with chevell and we see a very larg all white snapper we watch it for 30 mins chaseing fish has any one ever see a snapper like this and it looks tobe around 30 to40lb, so i went back today and put 3 jugs out and if i get it will post pic,hell it might be worth more than the meat pretty cool stuff,markfish

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
i grew up around farm ponds and have seen my share of snapping turtles. and have ate quite a few of them,LOL. but i have never seen a white one. that would be a cool thing to see. look forward to some pictures.
sherman

·
deleted
3,892 Posts
Floatlines - Floatline or jug fishing is permitted in [...] Floats must be freely adrift and be attended by the user at all times. Treble hooks are unlawful.

·
A.K.A. Rooster
1,343 Posts
Pretty cool. I have seen snapping turtles that people have painted different colors and put their signatures, artwork, graffiti etc. on. Never an albino though. I would try to sell it or donate it to the zoo or something. Good luck.

·
Frinks Run Taxidermy
141 Posts
Floatlines - Floatline or jug fishing is permitted in [...] Floats must be freely adrift and be attended by the user at all times. Treble hooks are unlawful.
in public waters

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Is that algae on its shell or am i colorblind?

·
Turgid Member
572 Posts
Is that algae on its shell or am i colorblind?
For a five grand turtle you'd think they would clean it up somewhat, maybe Turtle Wax the shell.
Sent from my DROIDX

Reactions: Snakecharmer

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
I know they get algae bc ive grown a red ear slider from quarter size to full grown. Initially its shell got covered in algae then as it grew quickly the algae only really stayed where it originally grew. So you could see how small it once was. Then i scrubbed it off.

·
bassing around
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and like i said privet pond with permission to fish hunt trap and im not color bilind and nether is chevelle that was there to we couldent stop watching it ,and my jug are just floating around the pond tonight looking for mister big whittie, and hell if it turns out to be albino ill look for a place to sell or donate it to,in my name of corse and ,ha,well sunrise will tell the tell or could be a week to get him or here there ar more snapper in there is up to who get the meat first,markfish

·
bassing around
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
will see if old white was out and hunting last night hope so will know soon,come on down ez,bite sill got some gigging todo to

·
bassing around
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
went to the pond all 3 jugs cleaned off so i caught some gills and cut inhalf then tosed back out the i see this other big snapper come along worked on my jug till it was clean again so now i got 1.5in peace ogf gill with bigger hooks will see tomarrow and if i get cleaned then im going to have to come yp with something else no trees close to hang lines the way i use to do it what is a better hook a trebel or a little stinger,there earing everything but the hook,little help here boys,markfish

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would say use a circle hook. Not TOO big but thick enough so they won't bite though or break.
Perfect! About a 1 inch gap between shank and barb.

I find chicken gizzards best, they hold on the hook harder. You will catch them on fish, but they will tear them off easier, especially w/banklines. Try to keep the baited hook in deeper waters, suspended off a willow branch or sturdy live tree limbs. The smaller turtles avoid the deeper water areas to feed. I use 50# spiderwire leader attached to para-cord type roping.

The smaller turtles strip baits quickly, along w/fish.
Have caught quite a few cats, banklining for turtles.

Turtles usually feed most often at dusk and dawn.

I forgot, no trees. Use one of those cheap dog corkscrew anchors or stake something to the ground. Best to use some kind of spring attached to the line for shock, but not necessary. You can attach the milk jug to that or run a straight bankline.

·
Fins Feathers Fur
695 Posts
I know a guy that had a true albino snapper, pink eyes and all. He used to do a bit of noodlin for snappers and grabbed the little guy out of a muskrat den in a farm pond. He was about the size of a salad bowl when he was caught. He kept the turtle in a huge aquarium for probably close to 15 years before the snapper died. Being in captivety it never really grew much. One of the coolest albino critters I've ever seen!:)

·
A.K.A. Rooster
1,343 Posts
I forgot, no trees. Use one of those cheap dog corkscrew anchors or stake something to the ground. Best to use some kind of spring attached to the line for shock, but not necessary. You can attach the milk jug to that or run a straight bankline.
Haha, I was actually going to suggest one of those dog corkscrew things but forgot somehow. :D Great minds think alike I guess.

1 - 20 of 722 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.