close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

all the fish you can eat

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by FishnJoe, Jan 29, 2005.

1. I love to eat fish. But the fish are getting more toxic all the time with pcb's, mercury, etc. Now I read that pond raised also has been shown to contain these chemicals too. Part of my attraction to fishing is to catch a great meal. Fact is I haven't eaten a single fish in years from local waters except some trout from Stonelick lake. I've joined the catch and release crowd. Take a pic and try to catch another while I take in a day of nature. Can't trust paylakes....where do they get their fish? What about commercial netters? Who do they sell to? I especially don't want to eat a fish from waters that have warnings for swimmers. So I found this http://www.aquanet.com/paq021.asp to be of interest. Doesn't look all that hard. All the chemical free fish I can eat. Just curious if there might be some other people who share my concerns. Fish is really good for you if its toxic free. too many warnings. especially for kids and mothers. I'll post back, as I go. I'm gona try

2. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

I did some reserch on this a while ago and I really don't think things are near as bad as authorities lead you to beleive. The way they test for chemicals is they take the whole fish and grind it up then do the testing. The chemicals are mostly in the bones ,cartiledge and fatty tissues, all things we don't eat. Just my 2 cents. I eat them and don't worry about it. How about all the beef and chicken etc. that is contaminated?

3. I have ate fish from a local pond, the findlay resvior, Indian lake and lake erie and i am alive and well. I dont think it as big as a deal that soem people make it out to be. If i die from eating something so tasty i guess ill die with a belly full of tasty fish.

4. i ve been eating white bass and crappie,walleye.saugeye.sauger out of the ohio river and im still eating all i can eat!!!! yea ,but i ve had 2 heart attacks in the last 2 years,i wonder if..................

5. ... with the rollbacks the Ohio EPA plans you may just have a point there...

6. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

I've been eating fish that has been caught from local waters for years. Big Walnut creek, Hoover, Griggs, Buckeye Lake, many different farm ponds. Never had a problem. I did notice last years crappie from hoover, had a bunch of specks of black in the meat. I checked up on it, and found out it is some bacteria that grows in the fish, but if cooked fully it causes no harm.

I wont stop eating the fish from local waters. Nothing we put in them is serious enough to endanger you, if you clean the fish properly and cook it properly.

7. you guys are missing the point about the mercury toxicity of the fish. No one ever said it would cause immediate or even noticeable harm in a few months or years. the problem is the cumulative effects of mercury ( or any heavy metal) over the course of your life. The main problem lies in pregnant women where elevated levels can cause birth defects or miscarriages. Elderly and children are also at higher risk. Think of it as smoking. People always say "i've been smoking for 30-40 years without any problems." well that mabye the case but just because you don't have cancer or a heart attack YET doesn't mean you're not going to get it or that smoking isn't bad for you. Compared to smoking its not nearly as bad and overall most people will probablly be completely fine regardless of how much fish they eat. However this is a growing problem especially with the new clean air laws (not trying to make this political but cutbacks in allowable mercury emission were repealed so levels will continue to rise) and its something that really affects us fishermen. As of now we're probablly find but who knows in 50 years. In terms of fish, i'm not sure how exactly the epa or dnr or fish and game etc. determine the amounts in fish but there are many ways to do it that don't require crushing the whole fish together. I analyze heavy metals in plants in my lab and the procedures would be the same for fish. you could do it with any part of the animal tissue you choose. I love eating fish and do regularity but just be smart about it. long lived, large fish at the top of the food chain will have the highest levels, especially catfish, carp..yummmm, pike, and to a lesser extent eyes. Crappie, gills, perch and the other panfish don't live nearly as long and therefore don't accumulate nearly the same amounts of mercury. as far as i know there's little to no warnings about eating these species. i think it was one meal per week in ohio and no warning in michigan. Besides i don't think our hearts could take 3-4 meals of battered perch a week anyways. Here is a simple link about mercury health risks but there is much more out there if you search any scientific journals.

And cleaning fish and fully cooking it does nothing to remove any mercury, just possible bacterial pathogens. Also there is plenty we put in the waters that can hurt them. have you read the article about hormones found in the potomac that caused fish to change sex, or about chemicals from our waste (the last one i remember reading had to do with prozac levels in water affecting fish behavior) that end up finding ways into rivers and streams that also affect them.

http://www.balanceyournutrition.com/In_Focus_mercury_toxicity.htm

8. I'll stick to eating fish from ponds. I now some stuff will still be in the meat, but in lower quantities. Besides, a mess of bluegill deepfried in canjun seasoning is too hard to pass up!

9. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

I noticed alot of people saying that they eat fish from ponds. What are the thoughts on all the run off that goes into ponds from farms, landscaping, homes. And all the chemicals that are contained in fertilizers and farm run off. Just curious thats the one i always wondered about with ponds.

10. as far as i know there are little problems with runoff. most of it is sequestered by algae and plants or converted to some other form by bacteria. That of course depends on what fertilizer we're talking about though. it can cause large problem for a pond though by causing algal blooms and low oxygen levels causing fish kills. same thing that occurred in erie in the 70's due to large loading of phosphorus. alot of that depends on where the pond is built too. if it's elevated above the surrrounding farmland or lawns there there would be little runoff.

11. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

I worry about it as much as I worry about drinking well water...... :p

12. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

If you're that worried about chemicals in your fish I assume that you do not pump your own gasoline. Is that correct?
    You inhale benzene and other carcinogenic aromatics hydrocarbons every time you fill your tank.
    Do you leave your house and air it out for a month after you lay new carpet?
    If not, you and your family are inhaling a suspect carcinogen, formaldehyde, and many other nasties.
    New car smell? Phthalates and other neat plasticizers....

One needs to be reasonable. I don't eat fish from the Ohio River (did once, never again). Don't eat them from the local PPG lake.
    Other lakes I don't worry too much about. Besides I don't eat the big fish. they are returned. The smaller walleye, bass, perch etc.. taste better anyway.

13. fast growing sweet white filets. Lots of fish in a small area for the "back yard fish farmer." I just thought some of you aquarium people might be interested http://www.aquanet.com/paq027.asp