close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

albino deer sighting:)

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by peple of the perch, Jul 1, 2007.

1. I was on my way home from work and there was 3 cars pulled over on the side of the road as im driving by i see a white animal so i turn around and pull over too. And ther it was an albino deer. It was really neat to see. How rare is an albino deer?

2. I've seen 2 in the last three years. The first was on Rt. 44 in streetsbourgh going to a whitetails unlimited banquet and the second was driving through the park along the Rocky River finding a spot to fish. I have a couple photos of this one on my brothers computer.

3. I used to live in Chicago and moutnain bike in the forest preserves there. One was Argonne National lab that was fenced in partly and there were white deer in there that were reportedly imported from China around WWII and were protected. I saw many of them over the 5 years we lived there and was amazed by them. Not sure they were albinos but there were white and blended in nicely during the winter. In the summer they were obvious, obviously.

4. I used to live in Chicago and mountain bike at Argonne National Lab and there were white deer there behind the fences that were proctcted and reportecly imported from China after WWII. Wild to see, especially the first time.

5. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

Down here in my neck of the woods in the Ohio Valley we have solid black ones to Albino's.
    I live with a woods in my back yard and a neighbor feeds em during the winter so I see all varietys.
    As for you all in the northern area..... not to sure.

6. ReadHeaded Hunter

ReadHeaded Hunter Catchin eyes

i saw one about 5 yrs ago pretty close to home. there were three deer walking across the road, one normal, one albino, and one piebald. pretty neat to see.

7. the only color variation ive ever seen was a super dark mahogany doe i stalked one day...i mean her coat was damn near black...very beautiful animal...kinda glad she spotted me n took off...

8. Did you see this in Geuaga County?

When I was in the service in upstate NY, the base had a captive population of white whitetails...These weren't albinos but white deer with brown eyes. They had a recessive gene to throw white fawns and by culling out the brown deer over time , they ended up with a herd of 300+ white deer. They are a really gorgeous animal. Although the base is now closed, You can still see the deer. Located between Senaca and Cayuga Lakes.

9. MAKtackle

MAKtackle your REEL friend

Have seen the one in Metroparks near Mastick for 3-4 years now. He is actually a piebald buck. Also use to be an albino doe at 480/77 intersection but that has been about 12 yrs ago.

10. yeah ive seen a few pie bald here and one albino here near sally buffalo

11. Dark or black deer are known as melanistic. In some parts of Texas they are quite common but I've never seen one in Ohio.

12. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

OK! I am going to ask. I have never heard of the term "piebald". What does this mean?

13. not solid white but patchy white and brown mix. Solid white would be a true albino color variation (inc pink eyes).