close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alaska-June 17-25

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by callmelando, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Combat fished the Russian River for sockeye salmon and limited 2 of 4 outings.
    King (Chinook) salmon numbers were low so didn't even bother chasing them on the Kenai or north of Anchorage.
    Also did a halibut charter out of Whittier...72 mile run out to Montague Island on a fast boat.
    Fishing was great with humpback whales, porpoise and eagles as extra entertainment. Nobody picked up a bruiser but we all limited out and each brought home a box of tasty fish.
    If you ever get the chance to visit/fish Alaska, don't pass it up! I go back every year and hope to live there after retiring from the USAF.
    Lando

2. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

We fished out on Kodiak Island at about this same time last year. Alaska fishing sure spoils you for fishing anywhere else. We did a sight seeing charter out of Whittier and you're right, the whales, otters, eagles are all amazing. Sounds like you had the same kind of luck as we did on the halibut, no 200 pounders, but we brought home a lot of fish.
    I'd love to live there too, but the wife won't go for it.

Thank you for your service.

Brian

3. Sounds like ya had a blast. Went on my first trip there june 3-10 this year. We stayed in Kenai and it was the best trip I have ever been on. Just like you no big halibuts but brought some nice eaters home. We back trolled the Kenai river with no luck for the kings. Took a local guy up on his generous offer to take a buddy and myself out trolling the inlet out of Homer for them. No big ones but we each caught our first kings. I can't wait to go back again. You're right Triton the fishing up there sure will spoil ya.

4. I'm going on August 14th for 3 weeks of fishing silvers on the Togiak River. I haven't been there for in 2 years and I can't wait! And its been 4 years since I've been there for a silver run!

5. Silvers are a blast-probably my favorite to catch! Have a good time and be sure to post when you get back.
    Lando