close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alan Faneca / Steelers

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by chaunc, Jul 19, 2007.

1. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

This is one SMART dude. He's getting up in age and his contract with the steelers is up after this season. He refuses to negotiate a new contract with them. If you are familliar with the steeler organization, you'll understand why he's smart. As per steelers, they structure contracts for older players to pay them in their later years of that contract. Problem with that... they cut them when they are supposed to make the big money. Think about it now. If he signs ( Faneca ) with a new team, he'll make his money now, with a big signing bonus included. He'll sign a three or four year contract for 25 million, make 2 more pro bowls, and be done with the NFL and set for life. Not like other steeler legends. If you think one of your favorite players has been wronged, post it and tell us about your feelings of how and why. Doesn't have to be just steelers either. Let's attempt to keep this civil. This isn't a head to head debate. I've been a steeler fan since the sixties and i've seen a lot of mis-treatment by the organization. From Joe Greene, Bradshaw, Webster, and Franco to Woodson, Winston, Lloyd, and a host of others. Bettis even took a pay cut to finish his carreer there, and he had a contract that was supposed to pay him three times what he earned his last two seasons. I know pro players make outrageous money but thats the market.

2. He will probably not see all that money, he just signed for mega money which will have a trickle down effect throughout the NFL, but the chances of him seeing all that 72 mill are slim, its probably heavily backloaded(even though I havent seen the structure of his deal) you wonder how long the Colts will be able to tie up such a large % of there cap space in 3 or 4 players.

3. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

Hi, Chaunc. I'm a '76 grad of Hickory High.

I respectfully disagree with you. I think Faneca is just another spoiled brat athlete playing out his grievances in public. He should have just had his say and left it at that and let his play this year do the talking. I hope he isn't too big of a distraction for the new coach. Yeah, the Steelers are not too sentimental when you get over 30 years old. I think they learned their lesson by holding on to some of the old steel curtain era guys too long. They were mediocre at best during the 80's because of it. Ask yourself, outside of Woodson, how many of the older players that the Steelers cut loose during the Cowher era went on to have careers anything like they had before they left. I love Joey Porter, but with the commissioner cracking down he is probably one incident away from a suspension. I can't blame them for cutting him loose. Faneca may be smart, but the Steelers track record shows that they are no dummies.

By the way, I will be back in the Shenango Valley this weekend. Is anything biting?

Here we go Steelers, here we go!

4. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Joey Porter was offered a contract. He chose to leave the steelers. No way was he going to make the money Miami is going to pay him, in Pittsburgh. And i agree with you. One more incident and he'll be just like the rest of the thugs. Franchise is strong, but loyal, no way. Those guys better remember that it's just a job. Make your money and move on. Actually, the whole league is like that, not just the steelers.
    PS.... and the crappies are still biting at shenango lake.

5. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

Shenango Lake spoiled me for crappie fishing anywhere else. People around here post when they catch a couple of 12 inch crappies. Everyone looks at me like I'm lying when I tell them stories of the crappie I used to catch there back in the 80's. Hell, I caught two 14 inchers there a month ago while I was fishing for bass up in the river. My buddy and I used to catch fish that would give fillets bigger than your hand.

6. Faneca is the best player on the FIVE TIME WORLD CHAMPION Pittsburgh Steeler's OL. He is a premier guard in the NFL, and was paid like one last year (4th highest paid guard in the NFL). Reportedly, the Steelers offered him a new contract that would keep him within the top 10 highest paid guards (in guaranteed money). Faneca feels that he is worth more. Some team in the NFL will overpay for Faneca on the open market, but not the Steelers. The Steelers cannot afford to overpay for any player that is on the downside of their career. They need to use that money to pay players that are in their “prime” (Troy and Ben just to name two). I will hate to see Faneca go, but I would much rather see him leave than Troy or Ben.

7. Can you say Steve Hutchinson or Eric Steinbach.

8. Steinbach is a lot younger though.

9. JUSTCRAZY

JUSTCRAZY Wurlds Wurst Spellor

I will hate to see him go if he does. I have been saying for the last three years we need a stronger line, that line is awful at best and loosing him will kill us. They need to put some meat in front of Fast Willie, he is not 270lb like the Bus was. I am sure Bettis would have loved to see better blocking his last couple years also. If we loose Faneca we will have to endure more losses like those to the Ravens last year. The was a total embarrasment! The bulk of that game had to do with poor/no blocking.

As for the superstar "Woodson" you guys are referring to. Man I must have watched all the wrong games when he played. He has to be one of the most over-rated players of all time. He was beat for more passes then a Rented mule. And he was one player I was glad to see ship off.

I am still a Pittsburgh fan and always will be, but it is ashame the way the NFL, NHL, and NBL have used that town as a minor league draft town for years. Let Pitts team draft them, let them display their talent, and then refuse to give them any money. Next watch another team pick them up and have a great carreer.

Just my 2 cents
    Rob

10. true2plue

true2plue TEAM BATO!!

This is OGF NOT PGF!!!GO BROWNS!!!!:D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  11. With the deals that those 2 have got the last couple years its really jacking up the prices on Guards though, Im guessing thats why Faneca is trying to talk his way out of Pitt, he watches those guys cash in on FA deals and thinks he can do the same, not to mention once these guys start to fall out of the top 5-7 highest paid at there posistion they feel like there getting ripped off and want to renegotiate halfway through there contract.

12. Big Browns fan here. But it must be that Pittsburgh is doing something right. I don't see teams lining up waiting to sign one of our players when they go free agent. I think sports in general is just reflecting our society in general.

There is NO job security anywhere anymore.So why not go where the money is. Senority does not pay the bills and neither does loyalty. How many of us would stay with a company that is paying 50 % of what we could make by changing jobs. Our parents and grandparents stayed with one company and were usually given a pension and health care before and after retirement. Now it is becoming rarer every day. The only reward for service is your paycheck.

While a superstar in any sport lifestyle is not going to change much wether he makes 5 Million a year or 10 Million . His window of maximum earning is rather narrow in years compared to us common folks.

While I understand it still pains me to see Manny Ramirez in a Red Sox uniform. As a diehard Indians fan I hated to see him go.