Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at OShaughnessy last night. Saw a guy fishing in a tourney. He was casting this rig that looked like a christmas tree. I asked...he said it was an Alabama rig.

Did some digging on google...amazed to find the line strength requirement. 50-75lbs! Makes sense for snags...expensive rig to lose.

Anyone have any experience using it here in Central Ohio? I could've posted this in another forum...but I like it here :) Wanted to get some feedback from the locals.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
It catches fish. Sometimes alot sometimes a few. Some people love it some people hate it. Like any bait it has a time and place. I have caught fish on smaller 3 wire versions with 3 inch baits on it. Bass and Crappie. It is not a miracle catch everthing lure but many wont go bass fishing without it. There is an extensive discussion in the bass fishing forum about it.
Reviews are very mixed

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,181 Posts
It catches fish. Sometimes alot sometimes a few. Some people love it some people hate it. Like any bait it has a time and place. I have caught fish on smaller 3 wire versions with 3 inch baits on it. Bass and Crappie. It is not a miracle catch everthing lure but many wont go bass fishing without it. There is an extensive discussion in the bass fishing forum about it.
Reviews are very mixed
I have a few of yours; I've only used it once and I lost the rig on a snag first cast, lol...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've never thrown one but can imagine it doing quite a number on your arm throwing that for any length of time.

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts
I throw a yum flash mob Jr. With reaction innovations little dippers with 3/16 and 1/4 oz heads. I use a 7' med. Hvy. Bait casting rod/reel with 17# fluorocarbon. That setup handles the smaller rigs just fine and it doesn't wear you out anymore than throwing a big deep diving crankbait all day. I also throw a full size a-rig with 5-6" baits and heavier heads. I throw it on an 8' swimbait rod with 65# braid. Definitely not a miracle bait, but I've caught some fish on it and I'm learning how to better adapt it to our lakes. It's really fun to throw when the hybrids stack up on the Ohio river!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
790 Posts
I used the Yumbrella ultralight tripod with the jigheads and grubs that came with it. I used a 7 ft ,med action spinng rod and 30 lb suffix 832 . I fished about 4 hours with it in the spring I didn't catch anything. Cast good no problems. I want to try it on a baitcaster outfit see how it works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts