Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to chuckle to myself when I saw a guy walking around with a spinning rod along the shore with a big Alabama Rig dangling from the end of his pole, bouncing up and down with every step.
Then I glanced at the reel to see if maybe it was a bigger model or something and it had to be 1 size up from ultra light.
I never did get a chance to see him cast that thing because I was busy launching the boat.
I can't imagine that thing lasting very long on his line but who knows, maybe he caught more than me that day.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I remember when I did some pretty dumb things starting out that if I were to do today make me feel like a complete idiot. I didn't have anyone there to tell me what to do and what not to do. Some have to learn the hard way...

·
Registered
603 Posts
I remember when I did some pretty dumb things starting out that if I were to do today make me feel like a complete idiot. I didn't have anyone there to tell me what to do and what not to do. Some have to learn the hard way...
I second that! I remember when I used a
spinning gear for everything. 1/2oz spinner bait on a light action rod with 8lb line. Thank god I only caught small rock bass and smallies with that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I remember being 8 years old and my grandpa taking us out to one of the city piers in Cleveland... Clear as day, I recall a woman, casting a rooster tail with a bobber above it... Since that day, I've never wanted to be "that guy" so I've always went out of my way to at least get close... Wasnt always right but I was alot closer than some..

·
Registered
146 Posts
one of my favorites is watching people hold open bail spinning reels like a close faced spin cast reel and reeling it backwards haha.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was guilty of holding my open face spin rod backwards. But I'm my defense the last time I finished before this year when I was 7 or 8 28 now. Some people don't have the luxury of having mom or dad teach them the right way. Thankfully after a few trips to where I fish an older man stopped and gave me quite a few tips and tricks. I was so bad I didn't even know how to tie a proper knot. I plan on taking my neighbor kid out today. Showing him a few things I've learned. By no means trying to start an argument but instead of ridiculing the person perhaps show him what he is doing wrong?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I thought i was witnessing the same type of thing last week... a guy was fishing with what looked like a Yum craw 8 inches under a big red and white bobber in about 10 fow reeling it slowly back in. Just when i was starting to laugh on the inside a bit, he rares back with a hookset KVD would be proud of and lands a solid 3 lber! Not a technique i'll be going to anytime soon... but i just had to say to myself "well ill be damned!":confused:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I thought i was witnessing the same type of thing last week... a guy was fishing with what looked like a Yum craw 8 inches under a big red and white bobber in about 10 fow reeling it slowly back in. Just when i was starting to laugh on the inside a bit, he rares back with a hookset KVD would be proud of and lands a solid 3 lber! Not a technique i'll be going to anytime soon... but i just had to say to myself "well ill be damned!":confused:
this technique isnt terrible...would work well with a live craw

·
Registered
603 Posts
I see so many people doing that with all plastics... mostly the older men that don't like to power fish and don't want to finesse. Its a cool technique but I like to feel my bait which is why I hate jerknait fishing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Doug Stange had a writeup in InFisherman on this presentation 2 or 3 issues ago. Sounds like dude man is up to date on his reading....

·
fish breath
567 Posts
i do that fishing for gills and crappies on the regular. i always referred to it as "dragging" and ive caught a ton of fish like this and it seems to weed out the smaller fish and let the bigger more aggressive fish come swoop my bait up.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I do the same Crappie fishing with tubes and it's very productive... never seen it used for Bass like that. The bobber itself was making a big wake, and with the bait so close to the bobber, its my guess the craw looked as though it was giving off the wake.
I just thought it was rare to see a guy with a nice baitcasting set-up throwing a big red and white bobber. Ya learn something new every time out fishing one way or another... props to the guy, made me eat my own crow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts