close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

airline tickets?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigjohn513, May 21, 2004.

1. anyone know any good sites for cheep airline tickets
    i have used priceline but i need to be able to pick my flight times and most of the "discount" sites arnt that cheep

2. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

company i work for always go's threw Expedia.com usually no problems the key to a good price is to book early not a week or 2 before but a month or so. I know not always possible but it can be the difference in $$$. Also check the diff in which airport you fly into. If going to chicago for example its a heck of alot cheaper to fly into midway than ohara. we are talking a couple hundred usually.

3. catking

catking Banned

You also want to fly out of Dayton or Indy or Louisville. You will save hundreds of dollars doing this. Cincinnati has the second highest rates in the country. CATKING

4. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I fly pretty much every week. Guys already stated the obvious, but here goes a list:

1. Changing the airport of departure and arrival may save a lot of money. It may be a little further to drive, but most car rentals have unlimited mileage anyways. If you let us know where you can fly out of and where you are going we may be able to assist in logistics. For example, flying into Boston has 2 alternatives. Providence airport and Manchester airport.

2. BUY TICKETS IN ADVANCE. Only Airtran and Southwest keep prices low no matter when you buy the tickets.

3. Check each airline's website. The other middle guy websites are not always accurate. Delta out of Columbus is reasonable, compared to freakin' expensive out of Cat-inatti.

Good luck!

5. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Tickets can be had, but anymore I see little difference between the prices. I am flying to New Orleans Friday, and am flying Delta. I searched for tickets starting waaaaaaaaay back in January when I booked this trip. I tried everywhere, Expedia, Priceline, BestFare, CheapTickets, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc. You get the point. Basically, all the tickets were the same for the flights I wanted. I wound up using Frequent Flyer miles, but the guys that are going with me all spent the $350 for the tickets.

IF you don't care when you fly, and most people I know don't have that luxury, you can get cheaper flights. I could have paid $188 for round trips to New Orleans if I had wanted to get there at midnight on Friday and left there at 7:45 a.m. Sunday morning. ( Yea, that's a weekend, but you only get Saturday. Big Deal.) As it is, I leave here at 4:30 in the afternoon, get there at 6:30, ( gives me Friday night to play) and then I leave at 6:50 Monday night. ( Gives me almost all day Monday.) So, for another $170, I get almost 3 full days instead on just one. A no-brainer for me. I bought the tickets off the Delta website. Cheapest way to go for them, plus you can pick the seat and get a boarding pass all at once. Just check in at the airport and you're done. Simple.

Watch the discount sites. I found cheap flights, but after taxes and "fees", they wound up being HIGHER than Delta was in the first place. $100 cheaper on the tickets sounds great, but add the $55 fees and $30 in taxes, etc and the deal goes away. Plus, ALL of the discount flights had at least 1 stop, killing my time. The Delta flight is non-stop and will cost me two hours of playtime. The other options all would have killed at least 5+ hours.

Like said above, be willing to drive to another airport. Fly during non-peak hours and work a non-weekend flight in there somewhere. Had I left on Thursday instead of Friday, I would have saved $60. Vacation time is limited though so I couldn't do that.

Good luck. It's getting worse too.

UFM82

6. Always go to the airline's website and check for prices. Lots of airlines are fighting the discount sites now and offer guaranteed lowest rates from their website.

Book early, fly from anywhere but Cincinnati and try to work in a Saturday stay. I fly to Florida A LOT and have found Airtran to be a pretty good airline for anywhere in the SE. Sure, they used to be Valujet but they have a very new fleet and 1st class upgrades are only $35. I can regularly save $300 by taking Airtran out of Dayton instead of anyone out of Cincinnati.

7. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Don't slam Aitran. They fly some of the newest equipment (never older than 2 years old). They have cheap fares all of the time.

I would not fly American airlines. They are snobs who don't care about customer service.