close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Airbrush info

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wormdunker69, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Need help in purchasing a decent airbrush and compressor. Am going to do just about everything with it. At my age I don't one that is going to give me headaches but I want one that will do the job. I am going to try my skills at shirts, lures and whatever else I can try.
    Thanks for your help, would also like to know where to buy one from someone that knows what they are talking about, you know what I mean.
    Single or double, which one?
    OK, let you go.
    Bill aka wormdunker69

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

almost any compressor will work as long as you have a 3 gallon tank at least. i have an iwata eclipse double action. the double gives you control of air and paint flow = double action.the eclipse sells for about $80.00 a few yrs ago. badger is also a good brand of airbrush. my compressor is a 2 hp w/an 8 gallon tank from harbor freight @$89.00. but you might want a quiet one if you are painting in the house.

3. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

I also got the Iwata Eclipse. I've never used a single action brush and can't imagine not being able to control air and paint separately. As Freyedknot said, you can use any compressor. I have a large, 22 gal, compressor and it works fine. I just lower the output to about 25psi, that seems to work best.
    There are also very small, quiet, compressors available where airbrushes are sold.
    I would also suggest that you get an airbrush that is gravity-fed. Not the siphon type. The gravity-fed ones are easy to clean and use less paint.

Brian

4. freyedknot

there are a few good places online to buy them ,just do a search. or any craft store like michaels or pat catans. call them first to see if they still carry them.

5. Took advise and went to Airbrush City and want to know what you think of the kit #AC-1121. Thanks men for all your help.

Bill aka wormdunker69

6. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

I don't know anything about the quality of stuff from Airbrush City. But, that seems like a lot of stuff (2 airbrushes, compressor, and paint) for only $220.
    It looks like a great deal, but I would worry that it's a case of "you get what you pay for".

7. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Paasche. There is no other. Make sure you buy plenty of cups for at least 7 colors minimum while your,e working. Also make sure you have a water trap and an inline filter. Your compressor can pass small amounts of oil unless you use an oiless compressor (too loud). Keep wiping the tip of the gun off periodically with a thinner rag. Keep one cup full of lacquer thinner and blow it thru the gun each color change. Just spray enough thru the gun on a piece of white cloth till it sprays clean. The small pancake compressors you can buy at Harbor Freight will be fine. One thing to remember is the airbrush doesn,t spray real wet so make sure your paintable surface is very clean so the paint bites! One more thing, if your using ONE SHOT enamel-
    It does have a shelf time. We toss everything out if its a year old. Date your paint. Don,t ever let it get under 50 degrees. Take masking tape and tape the lid after every use to seal it. We,ve had some real disaters from paint that is too old. Keep everything sugically clean! If your painting metal, wipe it down with wax and grease remover twice with a paper towel, (rags leave lint). After we start the job, if theres any question on the fine lines we add just a drop off a toothpick of fisheye reducer. It will make the line flow alot smoother. Good luck, theres nothing cooler than airbrush work on my toys!!! Raider

8. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Red!!! Raider

Attached Files:

9. freyedknot

that sure is some mighty fine work there. in more ways than one.