Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to plink with or clean up the undesirables around the yard?

Although the 22lr is probably my favorite, this isn't the thread for that

Im shooting a Gamo whisper with crossman .177 pointed pellets at 7.4 gr.

You may have a flyer now and then but for the most part at 25 yards its right on.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
I have a Diana stormrider 22 bolt action magazine 7 shot , hand pump PCP. Using crosman 22 premiers. Put a leapers utg 3-9x40 scope on it, great on squirrels, and critters..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Gamo & winchester , both have flyers..... the one cock seems not to lockup exactly each time, just when i think its good, next shot is off..... i cant afford misses with my quarry at 1am or so..... all thats cleaned up now(2 winters ago) with the 22 cci cb longs
Not real pleased with the one cocks ..... also picked up a ruger with similar results
And a friend had similar results with his gamo

·
Registered
11,436 Posts
I have a Gamo Maxum 22 cal. Very accurate at forty yards, bench rest. Have never had to use it it beyond forty so I cannot say what it will do at longer ranges. I really like the ten shot rotatory magazine, especially when shooting paper.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I use whichever one I have in the garage at the time. Usually a .177 or .22 CO2 rifle in the summer. I've popped rabbits, in season of course, up to 45 yards with a .177 QB77 but I wouldn't recommend it for tougher critters.

Most break-barrel airguns are hold sensitive. The cheaper ones (Gamo, Crosman, Umarex, Ruger, Daisy, etc...) can be accurate but are difficult to shoot consistently. Most cannot be held firmly like a powder burner. They need to almost float in your hands and cannot be pulled tightly to the shoulder. Two exceptions that I have are an Umarex Surge .177 and a Norica Dragon .177.

PCP, multi-pump and CO2 guns, on the other hand, are usually very accurate and have no learning curve when transitioning from powder burners. Beeman QB78 and Umarex Fusion are hard to beat in low cost CO2 rifles. My better PCP rifles are more accurate at 50 yards than any rimfire I've ever had.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I sold my “cheaper” break barrel .177, I couldn’t hit with it ( but really never gave it a fair shake) and switched to .22 CB shorts 710 FPS. It is quieter than the air rifle was. Plus, I have some primer only .22s that are only 540 FPS

·
Registered
235 Posts
I sold my “cheaper” break barrel .177, I couldn’t hit with it ( but really never gave it a fair shake) and switched to .22 CB shorts 710 FPS. It is quieter than the air rifle was. Plus, I have some primer only .22s that are only 540 FPS
What's the accuracy like with these?

Air guns are typically more accurate at short range than a rimfire. Well, at least good air guns are.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
What's the accuracy like with these?

Air guns are typically more accurate at short range than a rimfire. Well, at least good air guns are.
I‘m good with the low velocity shorts, close range use,
I have to remember IF I have them in the gun or a ”reg” 22 lr or high velocity shorts….they do have a different impact point !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts