close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ahh, first decent fish of the year

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by H2O Mellon, Apr 18, 2004.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Well I hit my 'Ol Faithfull spot today. It wasnt looking too good until near the end. I was using a light action pinnacle rod w/ an ultra light shimano reel. I was hoping for 10 or more dink smallies, ended up w/ only one........ but it wasnt a dink.

I hit my usual spots w/ no luck, lost about $10. in spinner/jigs, etc.... Then got what I thought was a snag, so I wlaked over to the "snag" only to hear & feel the drag being taken out. Oh yea, its a fish, a real live fish, my curse is gone. This fished stayed on the bottom for a while (3 minutes or so) I was using 4 lb line, s I had to be carefullm finall I got it in & up came the head of what I figured would ahve to be a channel cat, even though I was using a jig, well it ended up being my largest smallmouth to date. When I was 12 I caught a 19.5 inch smallie that weighed 3.5 lbs out of Erei, well this was 21.5 inches using the good ole finger method. I would ahve given $1K for a camera. My best guess was it was anywhere from 3.5-4 lbs, which to me is a huge smallie from the GMR. Am I correct by guesing the weight, doesn anyone have a better idea. I forgot to get the girth, This fish was way fatter than the one that my dad mounted for me when I was 12, it had a complete diff color though, much darker.

I was so happy to finally catch a decent fish, although I was more happy to release it, I did hold it for a second & look at the amazing color & how heatly it looked.

2. Im no expert on estimating weight but that is a real nice smallie. Congrats on the new personal best.

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Way to go Bryan..You need to get you a camera my man!

4. H2O Mellon

I just love fishing creeks & small rivers (the GMR is small in this area) I guess noone would brag about that fish in Lake Erie, but to me it was a blast!

5. H2O Mellon

Oh, Jack man I tell ya, it would have made a perfect pic for my web site in the Smallie area. I will have one soon.

6. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

21" might be close to 6# 18" is usually 3#, 19"=4# 20"=5# 21"=6# depending of course on girth too. 5-6# would be close on a 21", of course that depends on the finger method too. Another way so you can check it later, is a boot, or use your rod, lay the fish next to the rod & measure it against it, to a guide, to guide or something, thenput a tape on the rod to see .

7. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

8. H2O Mellon

Man, gets me all excitement still thinking about it

9. H2O Mellon

To be honest I didnt want to say 4 lbs right odd the back, I hate to overestimate fish weight, one thing I wont lie about it is fish, I figure why lie, what does that get you?

10. catking

catking Banned

Very Nice 'Mellon. That's a heck of a fish. You will be kicking yourself for no picture ;) But hey, ya still caught it ;) CATKING

11. Wow, great smallie and that would still be a great smallie out of Erie or any where else!

Steve

12. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I am glad to hear you are getting a digital camera, If mine got broke, I would not fish untill I got another one, that is how important they are to me.

13. Congrats on the very fine smallie! I'll be looking to get the first smallie of the year when the Hocking goes back down. Glad to see that your only fish of the day was one that big!

14. sweeet catch Bryan. now maybe we`ll let off trash patrol.... naaaaa you still pickin up trash. i got a cheap dig.camera that you can have as soon as we get together i`ll give it to ya.

Bub

15. H2O Mellon

Hey sweet man! We'll try ti out on your Southeaster Ohio Longbeard, right?

16. southeastern ohio longbeard..... quit it some more!!!!!! lol lookin forward to it and a little fishin in the afternoon.

Bub