Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was reading some posts here and got to thinking that we all can't possibly be money pits who have a collection of 50 state of the art species and technique specific rods & reels. So, for those who aren't "rod snobs" how old is your top 1 or 2 outfits? For me I have a St Croix that I built about 12 years ago that is my favorite walleye drifting & perch jerking rod...if it didn't live in the boat it would be my random any situation favorite. Presently it has a cheap Abu Garcia reel that is ready for the trash pile. ( i bought a $60 sale priced shimano reel for it last year but promptly tossed it in the lake with another rod). I also have a gloomis ultralight that is my any day any time pond or small water hero, built about the same time and paired with a finnor reel about the same age..both pre kids! Other than that I still use a diawa ultralight that is past the 25 year old mark (shorter than new it has a replacement tip and was glued to be a 1 piece after an incident on my 10-speed bike). I still have, and sometimes use, a shakesphere alpha that was my first "real fishing rod" it has to be pushing 30.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
fish breath
567 Posts
I have two favorites. First one is a 6'6" inch bass pro medium fast with a diawa baitcaster that one of my buddies gave me a few years ago so I could learn to use a baitcaster and just ended up giving it to me reel. Use it for Wally's and bass. And my second one is a 4'8" ugly stik ultralight with a little Shakespeare reel on er. I use that one for perch and bluegills. All in all I have about 130 bucks into my rod and reels and they're about 3-5 years old.

·
Registered
762 Posts
My go to reel is the one my Grandpa bought me when we went on one of our fishing trips back in the late 80's. Zebco 33, they were still made in the USA back then. It's a bit beat up and dented but still works great :D . So many great memories with that reel :) .

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I have a spinning rod that I use for crappies all the time that is probably close to 25 years old. It's an old composite that's starting to really show it's age, but it's perfect for my dead stick rod when using jig & minnows. I also have a couple old BPS telescopic baitcasters that are used all the time for trolling & they have to be around 20 years old.
Of course I have plenty of newer jigging rods with the latest greatest gadgets, but just can't see sidelining rods that still do what I need them to do. Rather save that money to pay for gas to get on the lake.
I also still have my first "trolling rod" that I bought before my first trip to Canada in 1974 ; an Abu Garcia MH 6' rod & Ambassodor 5000. That's one's on the display shelf now.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have a pole that my dad used from his early 20's till he passed in late 2003 at age 53. Not sure of the brand though but I think its a berkley, I will have to look. I dont use it very often as it is the only thing that I managed to get before his wife took and sold everything. It still gets the job done. Oldest reel i have is an Okuma Avenger deep sea that I bought when I was first stationed at Ft Lewis in Washington back in early 2003.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I use surf rods on the Ohio River to reach Hybrid Stripers and my favorite rod is an 11 ft Cabelas Predator , 5 yrs old and a 4 year old Abu Garcia Pro Rocket for the reel.

·
AKA: JetboatJohnny
835 Posts
Right now my favorite two are 7' med action johnny morris signature series casting rods and reels from 2001. 12 years of hard fishing on them and they still do what they are supposed to do. Starting to look a little rough with the finish starting to wear off where I hold the reels but they get the job done.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I have one oldie ultra lite spinning reel a Mitchel 408 I bought in 1967 still using it and only replaced a couple of bail springs, other reels are newer and no fav-

·
Registered
703 Posts
My favorite is a 5'2" Berkley Bionix Graphite Rod paired with a Abu Garcia baitcaster. It is going on 30 years old. Has a chrome Rat-L-Trap tied on and ready to go. It hangs above my bed with its 5'6" counterpart with a Shimano baitcaster on it.

Those were my Dad's. We used them all over Ohio, Michigan, Canada. They always came with us.

When he died, they retired. I love them being able to see them every day.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I sometimes drag out a South Bend flyrod I bought the first year I was married and that was 57 years ago. It still works fine.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
St. Croix 9' steelhead rod locally purchased in 1990. I have newer and nicer ones, but the old St. Croix is still pushed into action for some river and pier steelhead, nighttime pier walleye, and light line pike up north. Cork is gnarly but solid, plastic reel rings are worn and reinforced by electrical tape, but the blank is original with only a few top tip replacements over the years when chipping ice from the guides. It has outlived many spinning reels over the years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts