close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

aftermarker swing away tongue

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Warpath, Apr 13, 2005.

1. I was just wondering if anyone knew of aftermarket swingaway tongue parts. I have an older boat and trailer that I would like to put either a swingaway or breakaway tongue on. I am moving in a month or so, and would love to keep the boat in the garage, but it will barely fit at this point. I could shorten the tongue as well, but I'm not sure how short would be too short.

Eric

2. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

This is something I've been considering doing myself. One thing I thought might work was getting a piece of square steel and cut the tongue off. Use the squared steel like a reciever hitch between the two pieces. Weld it to one piece and use pins on the other.

3. I do know some welders, but I was thinking it can't be that difficult a set up. I guess since no one has heard of aftermarket products for this on older boats, I might have to just engineer it myself. I was also thinking I might just cut a certain length off my tongue, which I consider to be excessive anyhow.

Eric

4. Shorelander trailers have aftermarket break away hitches. On thier website go to accessories or something like that and they have several to chose from based on the size tubing you have on the trailer tongue. Oh standby...I'll post the link:
    http://www.shorelandr.com/pages/o_access_pdf/o_access_pg5.pdf

hope this helps.
    BB

5. B16,

Thnanks for the info, this will help a ton.

Eric