Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious...can smallies be taken (in rivers and streams) on top-water baits at night just like largemouth? was at work last night and realized i never fished for them at night, never see anyone fishing for them either. :confused:

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
I slay the smallies at night on Rice lake in Canada. I use the jitterbug till I can no longer see it then usually switch to a white sluggo. I know the sluggo isn't top water but its close, I can walk the dog with it. The only reason I switch is because I can feel the hit better. Never tried in a stream for smallies though. Too many snags at night IMO.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes they can be, we use jitterbugs and buzzbaits mostly, best color seems to be black.
I agree, I always like to throw the large black jitter bug with the segmented body!!!!! Too much fun.... I have moved on to lake fishing at night with black lights but I have some great memories of fishing Beaver Creek State Park at night with Jitterbugs....

Hawk

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool! guess i am going to have to invest in some topwaters!:)

·
Registered
894 Posts
black lights at night with topwater is awsome fishing, and if anyone wants to get a really nice cheap black like that runs off of AA battiers hit a Spencers Gift Shop in any mall, they have 12" portable Black Lights that run off of 8 AA battiers and last about 2 full nights of fishing before changing the batteries they sell them for like $10.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I use black spinnerbaits in 1/4--3/8 and 1/2oz.depending on how deep the water is. For a trailer I use a black # 11 pork frog or a 4 inch plastic craw.We do a lot of fishing on Salt Fork and Seneca at night. Strike King makes a good spinnerbait for night fishing also that is called a Mid-night Special. You can just fish them back to the boat real slow or let them sink and slow-roll them back also. Piedmont is a perfect lake to go for Smallmouths at night as there are some rod buster Small-Jaws living there. Salt Fork used to have good numbers of Smallmouths in it but in the last few years they seem harder to come by.

·
deleted
3,891 Posts
The hottest action I have ever had for stream smallies is on a long slow bend in a local creek starting around sunset in june/july with a black jitterbug.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts