close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Afraid to ask this......

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fshnteachr, Jul 4, 2007.

1. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

but I was out on the LMR today and came across a snake every bit of 4-5 feet long sitting on a log. Picture below doesn't do it justice...she was a biggy. Anyhow, I have never been too concerned about snakes, figured most were little and none are poisonous around here, but sitting eye to eye in my kayak with a big one like I did today was a bit spooky! :)

Anyone had any similiar encounters around here in any of the rivers? (Not sure that I want to know :)

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=26364&cat=500

2. Looks like just a big black snake. Harmless, but they all give me the creeps! lol

3. Ðe§perado™

Ðe§perado™ Catfisherman/Bowfisherman

Looks like a big brown water snake that just ate. They won't hurt you.

4. I am a expert in this field. I own an a education business and we specialize in reptiles. The pic is far away but could be one of two things a black rat snake or northern water snake. They are perfectly harmless and are quick to get out of the way. There are no vemonous snakes in this part of the state. Ronnie

Crocodile Haven
    www.crocodilehaven.com

5. pendog66

pendog66 It swims its bait

northern water snake

6. crocodile,
    there are two poisonous snakes in this part of SW Ohio..one is almost never seen and that is the timber rattler the other is the copperhead...and there is plenty of them on the lmr

7. There are no vemonous snakes in this part of the state. Ronnie

DO WHAT?

8. I do know there are copperheads arond here that are venomous.... Only seen one in my life but like most snakes they are scared of people... I did have an encounter this past year walkin the cree where a Black Snake wrapped around my leg which freaked me out a lil bit but when I shook my leg he took off so no harm done.... Still gave me the chills when it happened lol....

9. OMG! ..... a .357 Magnum can be had for about $300!:D

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Yes true dat Dink, BUT..... it's the $15 box of shells that you REALLY need! :D (or if you prefer the $7 box of CCI .38/.357 shot shells!)

11. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

We used to catch these as kids on the Cuyahoga River. Leave them alone, they bite if you try to catch them. They also let out a foul smell when captured.

12. The closest park that there have been sightings of copperhead is around Paint Creek. The Timber rattlesnake is endangered in the state. The closest county they have been seen in is Adams county and has only been seen there three times in the last ten years. Let me correct myself when I saw THIS AREA I am talking about Clermont county. That is were I live. I have done work with ODNR and know for a fact there is no venomus snakes in this county. Ronnie

13. fshnteachr

OK, I know very little about snakes so......is there a difference between Poisonous and Venomous, or are those words just used interchangeably? There are copperheads in Ohio?! I didn't know that.

14. Most of the time people use them interchangeably, but there is a difference.

Venom is usually actively passed from one animal to another(IE: Snakebite, Spider bite, Bee Sting) Poison is usually passed inactively(IE: Poison Dart Frog, Cane Toad) meaning you would have to touch/eat the animal to be poisoned. Speaking of poison I had a nasty spider bite on my foot last week, got red and swollen and you could actually SEE the injection from the spider.

As far as Copperheads in Ohio, there sure are. 9 times out of 10 you wont see them though. As they are very well camouflaged and they usually don't make their presence known unless stepped on or stepping to close.

15. I've seen snakes myself but also, gotta watch out for big spiders. Once, while wading, I was going to grab a branch for extra support when I noticed a black spider about the size of a half-dollar, right where I was going to place my hand.

16. fshnteachr

thanks for the info....I live in Greene County and fish the surrounding rivers in my kayak. Like I said in my original post, I always knew there were snakes around, just never realized how big until yesterday. I know I am not going to die, or be attacked by one of these, and that most are harmless....but they creep me out at that size! :)

17. You should never really worry about snakes in Ohio. You have a very minimal chance of running into a venomous snake. Most snakes will just slither away if they encounter you. The only real way you will get struck at is if your dumb enough to try to catch one and you corner it. If thats the case then you deserve it.

Jake

18. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Ironically I just had a guy in here that was running his dogs in Adams Co. last fall before the upland opener and his setter got bit on the paw. He saw the snake and it was a copper head, he took the dog to the vet and his vet said yep that is a copper head bite for sure. I have seen more snakes this year that years past so far but all just northern water snakes. A good sign for the river imo. I did have one cruise right across my boots and scared the crap out of me. I must have jumped about eight feet and had that chill with me the rest of the day. Every time I saw anything that looked like a snake I got the chills:) S

19. Snakes try to stay out of your. Humans are big and we look like preditors. ITSBRAD impressive most people don't know the difference. Just respect the animals. By the way SNAKES AND CROCS RULE. Ronnie

Crocodile Haven
    www.crocodilehaven.com

20. Well I was big into Herpatology for awhile. Had maybe 12 snakes at one point in time :) So yes Ive been bitten, coiled(arm, neck once) and pooped on by snakes and lizards(Leopard geckos, nile monitor, blue tongued skink) I have a fair share of knowledge :)