Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have an acquaintance(unemployed-can't even afford a computer!) who lives with his partner and their todler. He is currently unemployed on the lowest bracket of workman's compensation(due to expire in Jan.). She works a "part-time" min-wage job. There is no way they can currently afford the new plan even at the lowest level of coverage-or even pay the "penalty"! I told him I would try to find out some info to see what the options are for someone in this exact situations. What I have read in the papers on this deals with more "normal" issues and does not cover complexities. I have found very little info on it so I thought someone on here might know of a "link" or website which deals(clearly) with "unusual" circumstances. Can anyone help with any information? This is not intended to be a political issue(this is now law-so let's not go there please!) Thanks.

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, thanks for that info. I was ok reading it til I started clicking on the references embedded in the article! Seems that these bits of info that are published require the "poor people" to be a CPA and/or lawyer-at least "extremely intelligent"! to understand. Plus the issue of "family"-not being married-(yeah, I know!)
There are 900 pages in the Act but even though I am a college graduate, albeit 40+ years ago, I would not be able to decifer much of what is included relative to all the "situations and options". Seems this has been implemented without much attention to details/explanation for those it is designed to help(?)!

·
useless poster
8,805 Posts
sorry,no info... but how will so many unemployed and indigent people making minimum wage afford this health care? [email protected] paying $100.00 a month for it your deductible is around $5000.00 dollars a year for any type of visit to the doctor. thats what i would like to know.

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are the Deductibles and Co-Pays to consider also - in addition to the Monthly Premiums.
Exactly, maybe paying the "penalty for not enrolling"(to stay legal) will be CHEAPER than getting it!
Seems counter-productive to me!! How could this be considered good for people of no/limited means? If(I) had to get it, and needed major medical treatment, I would probably opt out of getting the medical care-which I heard was the reason for developing it! Again, not trying to create a political debate, just looking for information. Maybe I have this all screwed up??:confused: I guess I'm just too dumb to get it!?

·
Registered
230 Posts
if her income is low enough, she may qualify for medicaid. The feds raised the threshold for minimum income.

dale

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Exactly, maybe paying the "penalty for not enrolling"(to stay legal) will be CHEAPER than getting it!
Seems counter-productive to me!! How could this be considered good for people of no/limited means? If(I) had to get it, and needed major medical treatment, I would probably opt out of getting the medical care-which I heard was the reason for developing it! Again, not trying to create a political debate, just looking for information. Maybe I have this all screwed up??:confused: I guess I'm just too dumb to get it!?
I think I heard Jon Stewart comment on this subject. His line of thinking was that a small business wont be able to comply with the bamacare law and will pay the penalty. Mostly because the penalty is cheaper/person then insurance. If your a business, would you pay ten grand a year for insurance, or the 2 grand /year penalty. so where does the money go when companies pay the fine?

·
I am what I eat.
1,615 Posts
I think I heard Jon Stewart comment on this subject. His line of thinking was that a small business wont be able to comply with the bamacare law and will pay the penalty. Mostly because the penalty is cheaper/person then insurance. If your a business, would you pay ten grand a year for insurance, or the 2 grand /year penalty. so where does the money go when companies pay the fine?
That seems to be the idea, however, that doesn't leave the individual off the hook. They would then have to provide their own insurance, or, pay the fines, which I believe starts at $95, or 1% of your income, whichever is higher, and go up to $695 or 2.5% in 2016. I've been following another forum's discussion of this. Some of those guys went and created an account to see how much it would cost them vs what they have now. It ain't lookin good. Costs have been about the same as their current plans, but with higher co-pays, deductibles, and higher matching.

I guess if you create an account, look at the plans, but don't sign up, it will tell you about the fines. Moreover, it tells you what happens if you don't pay it.
1) One is subject to a fine.
2) If the fine is not paid and you have a Federal tax due back to you then the IRS will take the fine plus interest out of the refund, and they can garnish wages.
3) The state can suspend one drivers license.
4) If a period of over 2 years goes by and the fine still has not been paid the Feds can put a lien your real property.
5) The IRS has the power to take the fine out of any bank account they find of yours without any court order.

Good stuff right there.

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1) One is subject to a fine.
2) If the fine is not paid and you have a Federal tax due back to you then the IRS will take the fine plus interest out of the refund, and they can garnish wages.
3) The state can suspend one drivers license.
4) If a period of over 2 years goes by and the fine still has not been paid the Feds can put a lien your real property.
5) The IRS has the power to take the fine out of any bank account they find of yours without any court order.

Good stuff right there.
Good grief!!:(

·
I am what I eat.
1,615 Posts
I would suggest they visit the welfare office.
Exactly the problem. There are still people who have pride, and don't want a handout, even though they "qualify". This may just force them.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I would suggest they visit the welfare office.
That is not a good long term solution for anyone over the age of 18, particularly males...as the law changed years ago to limit the total benefit period for adults to receive welfare benefits to 36 months in a lifetime.

A vast majority of those who will receive the benefits of socialized healthcare will not have to pay a dime for it. For no other reason, Medicaid was expanded all over the Country.

The stray cats are being fed...and they are bringing their friends with them.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I JUST thank the Good Lord above,,that my Parents & Grandparents are not living to see this........ Mom,, was a Counsel Woman/Schools Administrator ,, Grand Dad,,Labor Union official/State Representative...& This,, is not what was in view of the future..... But yet,,here we are... What can ever better us with this plan,,that neither helps or assists the TRULY NEEDED provisions that are designed to help the TRULY NEEDY?? Cost/deductible,,& Maint. charge,, Simply unattainable,, I can't make the connection of where this is a better plan?? ............ I feel SORRY for the ones that get left behind by our System:C..... & I'm gonna retire in 88 days?? I HOPE that this whole thing gets smoothed out,,sooner than later.. & Especially-for your friends Charlie!! ----->>>>>sonar<<<<<-----

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
sorry,no info... but how will so many unemployed and indigent people making minimum wage afford this health care? [email protected] paying $100.00 a month for it your deductible is around $5000.00 dollars a year for any type of visit to the doctor. thats what i would like to know.
Yup , $5,000.00 deductible. Like having no insurance at all.

Affordable care act ? .... yeah right

·
Registered
762 Posts
Affordable care act ? .... yeah right
:good: you got that right. You're bleep if you do and bleep if you don't, we all got :S . Only good thing about it is people with pre-existing health issues can get coverage.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Not sure, but as I understand it, you receive tax credits, depending on your income or lack thereof, that make the insurance affordable. It would work something like the earned income credit, where you receive a refund even if your tax is -0-.

And even the most minor surgery costs more than $5000 now-a-days. If you get hurt or sick, and wind up in a hospital, you'll glad for the insurance --any insurance.

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Again(call me stupid!) but I just don't get this. You're supposed to be getting "affordable" insurance, but with the co-pays, high deductibles, and/or penalties, it appears this will hurt more people than it will help! How does anyone of "limited means" afford this situation? $100/ month/person is not "cheap/affordable" to these people! It seems it is more of a "punishment" than a plus for them! This was debated til it got diluted into obscurity, and now a "law" that has not been very well explained or marketed!! Maybe $100 a month is cheap to a law maker who gets free healthcare and his big salary for a pension after "serving" one term. Those people have no clue what is "affordable" to poor people!

·
Set The Hook!
2,175 Posts
I would love to be able to get insurance with $5000 Deductable.
I hurt my back 9 1/2 years ago , never had surgery , have worked every day full time after the injury.
Some things have changed and I am now only working part time for the Street Dept in the town I live in .
I was covered under my wifes insurance but now now she retired . I tried to go out and get insurance on my own and no one would touch me because of the injury. No matter how high the deductable the answer is still no.
I can get on my wifes retirement health insurance for the low low price of $850 per month!!!!
It isnt the the poor who cant afford insurance.
I am just now looking into the "Afforadable Health Care" hopefully it will be "affordable"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts