Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Uber Tuber
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who went, did ya catch anything, and what did the water look like?

·
The Bream Reaper
40 Posts
I'd like to know too. I'm headed there on Friday. Lookin' to hook a few of those BIG Gills' I've read about. Anyone else from here going this weekend?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Yep.. will be heading down friday after work. Turkey/shrooms/fishing. So little time. Looks to be a fabulous weekend weather wise.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Can't seem to get into anything of size at AEP. I've caught plenty of average gills and small bass over the last two weeks, but no big gills or decent bass. I've seen some HUGE bass right on the shoreline protecting their area, but they haven't been in the mood to eat! :(

On a side note, this past weekend (on Saturday) I drove through all four of the open campgrounds and only found one open site. The place was absolutely PACKED and people were everywhere. I had never seen AEP so populated. My friends and I decided to camp on my buddy's land instead of be surrounded by so many others. If you can only do weekends, then the best thing you can do is get there as early as possible on Friday.

·
Bubby wanna be
1,105 Posts
thats just par for the course the more people that go the more camp sites the managing body closes down....anyone heard any updates on camp N or the back side of D as to what the hell is going on..iv seen the signs just like to know what they are doing ...i'v also heard they may open an old camp ground thats was closed long ago anyone heard anything on this?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Thats how it was down there last year around this time. I think alot has to do with it being turkey season, shroom season, and we are starting to have nice weekends. Once everyone gets the cabin fever out of their system and turkey season is over, it will thin out. Last summer I never had a problem finding a campsite and I arrived after dark on Fridays sometimes.

Jake

·
Registered
338 Posts
That's what I figured too, Buckeye. I knew the morels were coming on and turkey season had just gotten under way. Having those factors along with nice weather for us fishermen equaled people of all interests taking a weekend away.

·
Uber Tuber
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tim, you are probaly talking about the old Q, my guess is its just rumors. Was in that area last fall and its looks the same every time I venture back in that area.

evan

·
AEP or Bust
337 Posts
Did there used to be a site L down off of 78 toward McConnellsville?

·
USMC 1979-1983
2,283 Posts
It was off of RT 83 South of Campsite A. Just before you come to Rt 284.
You will see a wide pullover area on your left and an old trail leading back there. I don't know wether it is off limits or not. Consol Energy has been leasing parcels of land from AEP and this is why Campsite N and Q and the back portion of D have been closed. This is from a local source that was an employee of Central Ohio Coal. Supposedly Consol is going to shaft mine these areas in the future. There are many rumors as to what's going on down there and this info may be rumor also but I believe my source is reliable.
Enjoy the place while it lasts....

·
AEP or Bust
337 Posts
I was too far down the road. I had heard that this campsite might be reopened in the future.

·
USMC 1979-1983
2,283 Posts
I heard that one last year and it was "supposedly" going to be reopened this spring. That of course didn't happen and wont. The other rumor was old Q was going to be opened but there is now a sign at the old entrance to Q off 83. The signs says Keep Out..No longer part of AEP Recreation land. It has been sold/leased to Consol or another entity. It sure would be nice to find out what is really going to happen down there. I spoke with a couple of the guys that maintain the area and they commented that it is only a tax write-off for AEP and that they don't make a dime from the land anymore.

Is there anyone on this site that works for AEP that could find out and let us know?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts