close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AEP Thursday (7/26)

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by OSU_Fisherman, Jul 26, 2007.

1. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

I was down at AEP today and did not have a whole lot of luck. I caught one LM Bass that was 3 lbs on a Mepps Aglia dressed rooster tail. I was fishing above the moss just under the surface of the water and this fish blew it up. Also lost possibly my largest AEP Bass. Pulled up a pond and saw a couple beautiful bass feeding on a group of baitfish. I casted over them, and they headed towards the center of the pond. One of them hit my Aglia and I thought I hooked it nicely. Three jumps later, he threw the rooster tail back at me. Oh well.

ALSO..... I know some of you guys are heading down there soon for extended trips. I saw possibly the largest coyote I've ever seen and it wasn't real scared of me. I left immediately and it followed my truck for about 1.5 miles until I reached a main road.

PLUS..... I dont know if any of you have heard about this,.... but supposedly there is a mountain lion or cougar or some sort of large cat like that running around the area. My Grandpa who lives only about 4 miles north of AEP on Rt. 284 heard the cat scream 3 times after dark no more than 30 ft away from him as he got the mail. I've heard that some of the sightings were of a large cat with a huge tail (3' long). I dont know if this is 100% true.... but be safe down there cuz we all want to hear about your successful trip.:D

2. We were out there tonight also , along the main road across from Hook Lake. Put the boat in ran up and down the banks with the trolling motor. We did alright but the bites did not come until late 7:30 or so. Ended up with 7 nice fat gills and 3 LM all about 1.5lbs. Caught everything on night crawlers.

Yes OSU there are a couple of cougars running around the area out here. We spotted one large cat during hunting season this yeararound Hackney then another on just above the old growth reclaim area. Saw alot of sign while turkey hunting this spring. As the grouse come back so will the big cats I think.:)

3. OSU_Fisherman

I meant to ask this question in my original post but forgot. Does anybody know what the rules are for carrying a pistol at AEP. I would only do this for protection purposes when I'm down there by myself. I figure that it cannot be concealed but maybe I'm not allowed to carry one at all. Any info would be helpful.

4. How far of a drive is it from Cincinnati? And what is the best way to get there? I've been wanting to explore AEP for a long time now, but never have had the chance. Are any campsite locations better than the others? Just a wife, a dog and a tent! Thanks,

5. Best thought is find Zanesville on the map (RT-70) it approx 30 miles south of there. Go to http://www.aep.com/environmental/recreation/recland/default.htm

find the map and check it out. There you can Reinersville which is on the southeast edge. With a tent you can land anywhere.
    Also while at the web page you need to apply for a permit.

6. Cool. Thanks. Yeah, I've been to the AEP site and have the maps and permits printed. Just wondering if it will be tough to find a spot, and a decent one at that? I figure it is a three hour drive from Cincy. I did some searching, and it looks like campground C & K are good ones? Thanks,

7. FishJunky

FishJunky AEP Tuber Association

If you have a concealed and carry liceanes there should not be a problem with carrying a pistol down there. I have friends that do down there for protection. I'll be heading down Aug., 3rd, 4th and 5th. Will anybody be down there? Let me know and we will hook up.

8. OSU_Fisherman

I'll have to look into that licensing stuff. I wouldn't mind buying a pistol anyways living in Columbus for 9 months out of the year. It would never leave the apartment.... but piece of mind is worth a lot.

Went back down to AEP this morning and fished pond 42 (the one beside Campsite C). Fished for about 4 hours and did not catch a thing. I had several good blow ups on a topwater frog that I fished over moss.... but that's about it. Each one of them let go of the frog after I let them run for a couple seconds and attempt to set the hook. Tried about every other lure on the boat too. Water was about 20' of visibility it seemed. Did see a 6-7lb Smallmouth Bass cruise right beside the boat.

On the way home we had a flat tire on the boat trailer so we took 284 back up to some back roads that led to my grandparents house. About 10 miles North of pond 42 we were on a back road (Zion Ridge Rd.... Wilds country) and a nice sized bobcat crossed the road in front of us. I'd say it was not much smaller than our full grown Black Lab.... but it was very skiddish and darted off the road.

No fish.... but any time out on the boat with Dad is a great time. Hope you guys have some better luck!