close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AEP Shotgun Season

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by HookUpFishOn, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Me and a few buddies were thinking about heading over to AEP for shotgun season this year. Never been there that time of year, so I was wondering if anyone could clue me in on what to expect. I'm willing to guess that the campsites are pretty busy, but what about the woods? Do the deer bed down pretty quick like they do on state property? Any other information would be appreciated. I realize this is a fishing forum, so I'll repost in a hunting forum as well. I just figured this would be the easiest way to reach people in SE ohio.

Thanks,
    Dan!#

2. Buckeye1955

Buckeye1955 Marietta River Runner

Forget the first couple days. It is a zoo! Totally out of control. You won't believe some of the stuff you will see from people that only hunt once a year and have had too much to drink. After that it is pretty good hunting with the deer bedding down in thickest stuff they can find.

3. I concur with Buckeye, after the first couple of days the yahoos leave and the deer will be bedded down. Its a war zone out there the first 2 days. I wil never hunt it again for gun season.

4. Buckeye1955

Buckeye1955 Marietta River Runner

We grouse hunted the area just past Hackney for years out near the Watson Cemetary. Decided to go out for gun season opening day. Must have been 50 guys back in there. Probably a dozen deer already hanging by their campers when we got there at 5:00a.m. Monday morning. Gun shots going off everywhere. One of our guys sat down against a tree and a slug hit the tree dead center about a foot over his head! We jumped two does and they ran across an opening into the next thicket and about 30 shots rang out. Then you hear somebody say " Oh hell, they were does!". We left and have never been back.

5. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

There'll be lots of $$ collected due to trespassing this year with all that ground being posted down there. So who gets all the $$? Bet some folks will be really disappointed when they see their favorite hunting grounds posted. I know some good shroomin areas are now closed for me.