Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fishing the Universe
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do AEP posts belong here or in the central thread? any ways , Lana and I camped this weekend at AEP and did well fishing some new spots. Has anyone else notice the interesting crater holes in some of the more pristine ponds. they're areas where the vegetation stops growing and forms a barren circle patch with a gravel bottom. I attached a pic of one. I'm trying to figure out why this happens. interestingly enough, they are great areas to cast and bass love hanging around them.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nice looking fish.

I have not fished AEP for probably 15 yrs. There are some great ponds and lakes if you get way off the road. I fished one that was probably 500 ft below the road with a steep grade. It was super deep and loaded with bass.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Fishing the Universe
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
could be a spring bringing in cold water? just a guess?
That's probably a good guess. I talked to someone who's very knowledgeable on aquatic ecosystems and she thinks it may be an acidic spring caused by the old mining practices.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Sweet! Those circular barren patches are gills spawning beds. You should see a bunch of them in the area.

·
Fishing the Universe
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet! Those circular barren patches are gills spawning beds. You should see a bunch of them in the area.[/QUOTE

These patches aren't gill beds. they range from 1 - 10 ft in diameter. you can see one in my last picture.

·
USMC 1979-1983
2,283 Posts
Underwater Alien crop circles!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts