Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just moved to southeast Ohio and tried out AEP for the afternoon. I haven't been there since I was a kid and it is crazy to think about how big that place is. I almost couldn't believe that such a place exists in Ohio. We kinda went last minute and winged it, but managed to find some ponds off the beaten path.

We fished from the shore at a couple of different ponds and caught only bluegill. I tried flukes, rooster tails, and poppers. The water was very clear and we could see a few small bass, but nothing big. I think we would have had better luck in a canoe or a float tube. Next time I will be more prepared. Also, we caught an insane amount of ticks. I pulled a million off my dog!

Any tips for fishing AEP, or getting rid of ticks?

·
Carp53.65
4,188 Posts
There are big bass in those lakes. Getting on them and catching them in gin clear water is another story in itself. As far as tick go they are insane there. This spring I found a pond that is the tick capital of Ohio. At one point I picked off 43 that were on me. Yes that's a four followed by a three. For some reason the fishing was off the chain in that pond and nobody else was fishing there. Have no clue as to why? Maybe if you have access to a flame thrower you could blaze you a path down to the pond that you plan to fish. Lol

·
Registered
135 Posts
The ticks there have always been bad. I remember after a trip down there when I was young, sitting down multiple times and picking 20-30 ticks off my dog each time. That's why I only fish ponds that aren't too far off the beaten path in my old age. It's a great place and is beautiful and I think it's something everyone should experience. I hate that people trash it up so much but it is what it is. We always take a large trash bag or two with us and fill them up with all the garbage before we leave.

All that being said, we didn't do very well last time went. We have a go to pond that not a lot of people know is there and it's usually a honey hole. Wasn't really the case last time but we are headed down to fish there in the morning so hopefully we will have better luck!

·
Registered
381 Posts
One of my go to ponds has taken a serious downturn this year. I think that the proximity to a road and a bunch of shore access has taken its toll on it. The first couple of years I fished at AEP I would make a pit stop and fish it and always pull out a couple of 3 pounders on my way home. I caught my first fish of the year in it this year, and have not had another bite in it since. Fishing has been weird out there this year though. I have caught a lot more fish, but the overall size has been smaller. I have only caught 4 over 3 lbs, whereas at this time last year I had a couple of 5s at this time. The good thing is that the change has made me hit a bunch of new spots this year, and I have found some new places that I think will produce when the conditions are right.

It seems as though there are more people out there this year and the majority of them are fishing the easy to access ponds. There were times over the past couple of years that I would go a full day without seeing anyone. That hasn't been the case this year. There is someone there almost every time that I drive by it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are big bass in those lakes. Getting on them and catching them in gin clear water is another story in itself. As far as tick go they are insane there. This spring I found a pond that is the tick capital of Ohio. At one point I picked off 43 that were on me. Yes that's a four followed by a three. For some reason the fishing was off the chain in that pond and nobody else was fishing there. Have no clue as to why? Maybe if you have access to a flame thrower you could blaze you a path down to the pond that you plan to fish. Lol
I don't know about bringing a flame thrower out there.. I'll probably end up calling in a napalm strike!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts