close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AEP Help

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by zoofishin, Feb 26, 2009.

1. I was hoping to find out some info and directions to AEP. I am hoping to take my kids camping when the weather breaks, but I've never been down to there(I live in Akron). Any info on which campsites are better than others as well as any info on some ponds to try first would be greatly appreciated. I am not real concerned about finding lunkers to start, more worried about giving my kids a good experience to hopefully get them wanting to get out more.
    Thanks for any and all info, and hopefully will get to meet some of ya'll down there.

2. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

If you're coming from Akron, I would say the best way for you to get there would be to hit I-70W from 77 and then take 83South to Cumberland. When you hit main street in Cumberland (SR 146) hang a left and go maybe 1/4mile and you'll see Gracies (Well, I think it might be called Clark's now... somebody correct me if I'm wrong). They have the permits (which you could also print off online) and a big fold-out map of the entire area for free. Also a good outlet for local info.

Go back to 83South and head down into God's Country haha. There's also another little store that sits by itself just after you get back on 83. Another place to buy bait, wood, and get local info.

Sorry, I can't help on the camping but send me a PM or something a little closer to your trip and I'll try to help out on the fishing. There are lots of guys on here that know MUCH more than I do, so they'll help ya.

3. umm fishing ive found the harder to get to places are often better.the places easy to get to get fished pretty hard.but about anywhere you can catch fish especially big slab bluegill, theres 350 ponds so theres plenty of places to go.Theres also a pond called hook lake i believe its right by campground A but could be mistaken its just for kids theres signs everywhere im not a kid so ive never fished it but i imagine its good and stocked since its for kids only. Ive always camped at campground C the bathrooms were recently redone there this past fall and its always been nice there for me.

4. BBANKS

BBANKS John Deere Puller

If you want to make your first trip a good one, watch the weather for one! Get a map and camp at campsite C. There is a big lake right at the camp and several lakes very close that you can fish pretty easy. i would recommend this for your first time! Talk to people while you are there and get to know people! they will help you from there. No one will tell you where there favorite spot is, but they may point you in the right direction. For those of us that have been going for 30 plus years cant even get some good spot out of people! have fun and watch the rules down there as well.

5. Thanks all for the info. I might try to go down soon after the weather breaks without the kids , but will definately wait till it warms a bit for them. The only question I have left is, the stores that are down there is it better for me to bring a good supply of bait or are they reliable and well stocked on their live bait. Also is there an a good supply of wood around to burn? Thanks again for the info and hope to meet some of ya'll down there.

6. BBANKS

BBANKS John Deere Puller

There is some bait. I know they have worms. We tried to get minnies last year and know one had them. The Quick Exchange store on St Rt 78 is the best place to get wood. It will be slab wood already cut up all you have to do is pay for it and load it up. It is pretty reasonable as well. I will give you another hint, watch out for the white mud! it can swallow a truck up in a hurry. I hope you have a 4x4! Good luck to you!

7. Went down to "God's Country" yesterday. Kinda late in the afternoon and only had a chance to see a few sites. Really looked nice , and can't wait for the weather to break. Even my 7yr. old son was pumped after seeong a few of the ponds. All of which were ice free and a few showed a bit of promise soon. Hope to get a chance to meet ya'll down there.......thanks for all the info and good fishin' to everyone.