Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Float Tubing Fanatic
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went float tubing at the AEP ponds yesterday. About 20-25 bass but the biggest was only a little over 13 inches. Far too many were 10 inches and smaller. The majority were caught on my Lucky Craft Sammy and 5 inch Senkos. I also caught one or two on a Zoom Lizard, a 7 inch trick worm, a Super Fluke, and another on a crankbait that I forget the name of. The water was extremely clear, at least with the two ponds I was in, and the fish have certainly moved deeper. I think they're getting into their summer patterns although I did find a school of bass fry from a late spawn.

The highlight of my day wasn't the fishing but the wildlife I saw. Just on the drive there, I saw a raccoon, a opossum, a rabbit, a deer, a fox, and a skunk. While fishing, I watched a deer walk along the bank, eating and drinking, and then I got to see it swim across the pond. They can definitely swim fast. Certainly faster than me in my float tube. I don't think the deer even noticed me.

I also saw frogs and turtles, like always, and a garter snake that was coiled up in the trail. There wasn't any room to walk around it and the snake didn't want to move - probably too comfortable lying in the sun with an obviously full stomach. I poked it with my fishing rod, trying to encourage the snake to move, but he just coiled up more and snapped at the pole a couple of times. I lifted the snake a little with the rod, it finally got the hint, and took off. That's twice now this year I've come across a snake that refused to move out of the way.

Let's hope for my next report I write more about fish and less about deer and snakes.

·
AEP Tuber Association
893 Posts
Thanks for the report. I'll be down Friday about 1pm at campsite k to fish for the weekend.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts